PDA

View Full Version : Drying Foam Pads

Danin Re
07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi guys... I usually throw my pads in the dryer and have never had a problem with the velcro peeling or anything. My problem is that I will take them out of the dryer after two 90 minute cycles on the highest setting. They will feel dry, but after about an hour, you can feel the dampness in them again. And if they are put in a plastic bag, I`ll get condensation and it will begin to mold over time.

I have tried putting them on a rack with good ventilation and get the same results as the dryer.

Putting them in the sun is not an option for me right now because of our nice unpredictable rain and I live in a very dusty area with lots of cats. The last time I did successfully place them in the sun for an afternoon, not only did I have cat hair all over them (not bad to get off, but still a pain), they felt dry at the time and then were damp a while later.

Why are these things so hard to dry?

I`ve thought about putting them in the oven now... maybe a steady heat without the tumbling of the dryer, but hotter than just sitting in the sun would help. Has anyone used the oven for this and how did it work out for you? Thanks!

kleraudio
07-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I just put them on a paper towel on top of my dryer. 2 days and they are bone dry. thats it.

Jim

Danin Re
07-12-2007, 05:45 PM
And you`re in FL with the same or more humidity than I have here.... so why will mine not dry? It`s frustrating as hell.

NickelPlated.45
07-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I just put them on a paper towel on top of my dryer. 2 days and they are bone dry. thats it.

Jim

Yeah i just toss them on a towel in the garage for a couple days and they dry out. They don`t even have to sit in the sunlight.

ZoranC
07-12-2007, 05:58 PM
My problem is that I will take them out of the dryer after two 90 minute cycles on the highest setting. They will feel dry, but after about an hour, you can feel the dampness in them again.

Could it be that they are too hot and condensation is forming? I would try starting with lowest setting.

BlackElantraGT
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Are you zipping up your plastic bags? If you are, just trying leaving the bag open so it can air out while still offering a little protection from the cat hair.

David Fermani
07-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi guys... I usually throw my pads in the dryer and have never had a problem with the velcro peeling or anything. My problem is that I will take them out of the dryer after two 90 minute cycles on the highest setting.

Wholy heck - That`s impressive. If that doesn`t dry them, I don`t know what will?

Danin Re
07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
It`s not like it`s a huge commercial dryer or anything... I actually don`t know what the actual temp is and there are only the three settings for temperature - air fluff (I guess none), Low and Regular.

It must be just that the pads are so good at retaining moisture... *anything* else I put in on the regular heat setting comes out completely dry (well, almost anything... I haven`t tried it on the kids yet).

I actually think I`ll just use this as a good excuse to get more pads. "Gee honey... my pads aren`t dry yet and it`s been two days. I`ll have to order some more so I can still work while waiting for those to dry."

AL-53
07-12-2007, 07:42 PM
After I wash my pads by hand...I put them in the washer...I just use the spin cycle with no wash..I spin them to extract all the water it can ..1150RPM spin...then I lay them on black towel outside....they dry in a day....I never put in bags...I use a plastic storage bin ....they can mold up in a bag if not fully dried....

AL

MatrixXRS
07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I typically wash my pads by hand with dishwashing liquid then gently wring them dry by pressing them into a soft cloth towel. After that, I leave them out over night (typically in my kitchen) and they`re dry by morning. I did the bag thing, but always managed to get some mold. So I let them fully dry then place them in a plastic bin.

If I`m in a hurry to dry them, I place the pad on my PC after "wringing" them and put some pressure into a soft cloth to wick the water out of the pad. That usually gets it dry enough to begin polishing again.

BlueLibby04
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I usually roll them up in a towel and squeeze them really hard. If you really want to get all teh water out, put them on the PC and turn it on.. That always dries mine out in no time.

rkf76
07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi guys... I usually throw my pads in the dryer and have never had a problem with the velcro peeling or anything. My problem is that I will take them out of the dryer after two 90 minute cycles on the highest setting. They will feel dry, but after about an hour, you can feel the dampness in them again.

Why are these things so hard to dry?

They`re actually very easy to dry. After you wash them, slap them back on your machine and let the machine spin all the water out of them. Or, if you have already put your machine up, just get as much water out of them by hand as you can and then set them on a towel face up and let them air dry overnight. This has been my technique and I have yet to have a problem.

imported_DetailDan
07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I wash mine by hand then stick them on the PC on speed 6 and all the water goes flying off.

BINGO53
07-14-2007, 05:15 PM
All of the above is good. I usually squeeze mine out by hand, place them on any color bath towel in the unused bathroom for a day or two and bag. If you spin them on the machine, make sure you hold it perpendicular to the ground. I did it parallel once, the velcro came loose and it frisbeed all the way across the street.