PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber/Replacing

Pages : [1] 2

LQ9SS
07-12-2007, 12:50 AM
How often do you replace your Microfiber towels? How do you tell when the towel is going bad? Also, maybe share where you buy your Microfiber towels.

Demanding Mo-Fo I am today, but I don`t want to be using bad microfiber towels on my black truck.

Thanks guys:hifive:

PTRon
07-12-2007, 10:01 AM
MF towels can be had almost everywhere. Use only 70/30 on your painted and chrome surfaces. 80/20 on everything else is fine. Waffle weave and surgical huck towels on glass and clear plastic. With proper care your MF towels should last at least a year if you`re only doing your own vehicles (not detailing professionally). Do not "mix-and-match" your towels (glass towels should not be used on paint, wheel towels only for wheels, etc.). Just my .02.

BobD
07-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I replace mine when they get too dirty or when I drop them on the ground. I take a permanent marker and put a big black "X" through both sides of the bad ones so I know not to use those on finished surfaces.

I buy mine from Danase.com ;)

BlueZero
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Good one Bob! Danase is a good place to get them, and check out their `Phat Towel`.

For my window / wheel / etc ones I get them from Target. The have some decent towels at a decent price. The orange Vroom brand ones. But for my paint I use the better ones, seems like our paint is pretty scratch sensitive. Right now I have a ton of Meguiar`s ones because I found them priced wrong at a local store, so I bought the entire stock. :grinno: I`m really looking forward to trying a Danase Phat Towel, hopefully next week I will be placing an order.

LQ9SS
07-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Anyone else?

fdizzle
07-14-2007, 07:51 PM
iv have 12 super plush, 12 miracle, 12 glass, 16 indigos, 8 waffle drying all from cobra. all have seen 60+ washes. their spot free, still soft, and goin strong. most are about a year old.

it really all depends on how you care for your MF. . . .

my coscto mf on the other hand . . . . . thats another story. those are like one hit wonders, and then they get tossed or used to clean the chain on my bike, which might as well be the same thing . . .

imported_memnuts
07-14-2007, 08:49 PM
MF`s last a very long time for the hobbyist detailler. I have some ExcelDetail, Autopia and PakShak towels that look and feel as good as new that are over 5 years old. I have a collection of about a 100 and rotate the stock.

One must wash, store, utilize and "revive" (I use white vinegar) the towels properly and they will serve you well.

Oh yeah. You will know when they have deteriorated.

ZoranC
07-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Danase is a good place to get them, and check out their `Phat Towel`.

Check them out?! Ordering them is a must! Once you go PHAT you don`t go back! I got 10 of them from Bob and fell in love with them! So much I kept saying to my gf every time I would use them "Did I already tell you how much I love these towels?". So much I just ordered another 25!

imported_pigcorn
07-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Do the phat towels lint? I have the M\F from Adams Polishes and although soft and feel high quailty they have a real linting problem.

Then I bought CG Elite Deluxe Super...etc and they seem kind of cheap compared to the ones from adams, at least on first impression and I think it is becuase they are not as thick and they are 16x16(CG) vs 16v24 (adams)

I did however pick up a glass Mf towel because the real thick ones were not cutting it for glass in my experience.

Adam's Polishes
07-14-2007, 09:47 PM
couple of key factors play into the life of your towels... the main ones being frequency of use and care. I have about 10 super plush ones from Adam`s that are my main polishing towels... I`ve had them for about 6 months and they`re just as soft as the day I got em. I use the cheapies (vroom from target) for all the other surfaces and those don`t last nearly as long... partially b/c they see harsher stuff, also b/c I don`t think they`re made all that well. For drying I have 5 white waffle weave towels (also from Adams) and those are also in great shape.

I clean all my mf w/ Micro Restore on a cold wash cycle, and tumble dry.

ZoranC
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Do the phat towels lint?

They have not on me, but my experience is limited. Just ask Bob at Danase, he is a straightforward guy, he will tell you if they do lint.

hXc drummer23
07-15-2007, 06:22 PM
MF towels can be had almost everywhere. Use only 70/30 on your painted and chrome surfaces. 80/20 on everything else is fine. Waffle weave and surgical huck towels on glass and clear plastic. With proper care your MF towels should last at least a year if you`re only doing your own vehicles (not detailing professionally). Do not "mix-and-match" your towels (glass towels should not be used on paint, wheel towels only for wheels, etc.). Just my .02.

I cant use 80/20 on paint?

AmF_15
07-15-2007, 06:45 PM
couple of key factors play into the life of your towels... the main ones being frequency of use and care. I have about 10 super plush ones from Adam`s that are my main polishing towels... I`ve had them for about 6 months and they`re just as soft as the day I got em. I use the cheapies (vroom from target) for all the other surfaces and those don`t last nearly as long... partially b/c they see harsher stuff, also b/c I don`t think they`re made all that well. For drying I have 5 white waffle weave towels (also from Adams) and those are also in great shape.

I clean all my mf w/ Micro Restore on a cold wash cycle, and tumble dry.

Not trying to hijack this thread but it "is" ok to wash and re-use the micro fiber towels. Does it hurt the washer with all the polish/wax residue?

imported_bigfoot
07-15-2007, 07:15 PM

I would be like :soscared: if you said you buy them from AG!;)

mongo
07-15-2007, 07:27 PM
I have used vinegar on cotton towels and microfiber towels and dislike what it does to them only use a teaspon per towel or two tablesponns for whole wash..

It leaves them feeling rough so i have discontinued the vinegar treatment.