PDA

View Full Version : Detail from HELL O

Greg Nichols
07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I was asked to detail this 06 CrossFire with 2000 miles on it, it had some marring and I felt it should be easy to corrct.............boy was I wrong. I`m perplexed by the way the paint acted.

I tired to use a orange LC 5" and OC that just marred the paint more. Tried a green CCS with OC that marred the paint. Tried a black SA arnold pad with OC, IP, OHC they really did not correct the paint? All these trials were done with a PC.

I broke out the rotary and used a black pad and IP, that seemed to do a pretty good job and no more added marring, but it never really cleared the paint. I switched to OHC and that did not really work. This worked better than the PC.

If I went more aggressive it marred, if I went less aggressive it did not really deal with the issues very well. I felt stuck so I just worked the lesser for longer, but after too much time it only reduced the issues by 70%?

From a distance the paint looks outstanding, but in the halogen or sunlight you can see the issues if you look for them. The owner really wants its clean.

Also of note is the fact that it scratches REALLY easy with a microfiber (viking green). So putting marring in is easy, but getting them out is a mystery???

Here are some photos of the paint in question. I told the owner not to pay, and I`ll redo the job so your imput is needed.

I`m going to pick up some 106ff this weekend and maybe that will help. Where did I go wrong in my thinking on all this?

DISCLAIMER: No need to pull any punches in your opinions as I need to still learn.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/ghnichols/CrossFire002.jpg

Here is a before:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/ghnichols/CrossFire005.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/ghnichols/CrossFire2002.jpg

Here is a after: Yes its a bit out of focus.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/ghnichols/CrossFire2003.jpg

Shot of after from a distance:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/ghnichols/CrossFire016.jpg

GREG

Brian_Brice
07-11-2007, 09:47 PM
hmm, i have never dealt with a crossfire, but it sounds to me like pretty soft clear. did you start out using a mildly abrassive polish and a polishing pad or did you go straight to orange? i have started out with orange before that left more damage behind, that`s why i always start out with white pads regardless of the damage, unless im familiar with the paint.

Greg Nichols
07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I settled with a black pad which is a bit more stiff than a white and it really did not cut with any of the polishes mentioned.

I figured this would have a hard clear coat.

BlueLibby04
07-11-2007, 10:12 PM
yup, sounds like you started out alittle to aggressive. Always use the least evasive method. Start small and build your way up..

imported_themightytimmah
07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I`d use the black pad with a light cut polish (P0106FF, I like 1Z MP too) at higher RPM`s - 1800 or so. This will up the gloss but usually leave a nice set of holograms, so take them out with a filler-free finishing polish on a PC and white pad.

Greg Nichols
07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Even when I switched to a black pad and OP it did not clean up very well........for such "soft" paint this is strange.

Scottwax
07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
106FF works very well on softer paints. I`ve also found that Optimum Poli-Seal and Meguiars #80 do too.

Greg Nichols
07-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I have poli seal, but did not think it would remove those minor swirls. I still think a black pad and OP should have done a better job.

Thanks everyone for the input

Greg Nichols
07-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I`ve got some 106ff and final finish II that I`m going to try on this again. I sure hope I figure out what is going on, I`ve never had a car offer so many issues.

golfdude
07-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I`ve got some 106ff and final finish II that I`m going to try on this again. I sure hope I figure out what is going on, I`ve never had a car offer so many issues.

I have had absolute issues with Crossfire`s like my own as well! Nothing seems to work! From the least abrasive method to the most aggressive I had at the time, nothing wanted to create an absolutely swirl-free finish! How did theses products work-out for you on the paint?

imported_Jakerooni
07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Here`s my question.... Id simple MF towels marr it up like that what the heck are normal everyday driving conditions doing to this poor paint job? I can`t imagine road dust at 70mph on this.. Probably acts like a sandblaster.

Never delt with crossfires yet but duely noted if one comes in I need to pay extra care to soft paint.

golfdude
07-16-2007, 10:07 AM
I personally feel the Crossfire has hard paint, not soft. I`ve had one for 3 years, 48,000 miles, and if the amount of rock chips on your front-end is an indicator of paint hardness, the Crossfire`s paint is pretty hard. Maybe it`s just the colors I`ve delt with that leads me to this conclusion (sapphire silver blue and aero blue).

phamkl
07-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I think rock chips appear more often on cars with hard clear coats. Softer clears absorb the impact a little while harder clears take the brunt of a small object flying at whatever speed.

Greg Nichols
07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I personally feel the Crossfire has hard paint, not soft. I`ve had one for 3 years, 48,000 miles, and if the amount of rock chips on your front-end is an indicator of paint hardness, the Crossfire`s paint is pretty hard. Maybe it`s just the colors I`ve delt with that leads me to this conclusion (sapphire silver blue and aero blue).

This I`m sure will open up a can of worms, but when someone states the clear is hard how did you judge this? An orange pad and IP is always my judge, if the the paint does not marr then its hard, IMHO.

I will get this car back in the coming weeks and hit it with a blue pad and some 106FF or PS to see, I`m just stressed that I could not get this car looking marr free!!!

GN

Greg Nichols
08-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Just to follow up on this thread.

I got the car back and hit it with Poly seal and a black pad, it looked okay and might have looked better with more work. I switched to 106ff and a black pad..........oh my this stuff rocks. I got the entire car done in 1 hr and it cleaned the paint with a big gee wiz factor.

The paint is on the CrossFire was still a PITA, even as I took off the sealant I could marr the paint with the MF.

I have warned the owner and he bought some very good thick MF and I talked to him about washing the car rather than QD it. I know I`ll see it back again because the owner was very happy with the rework and it will marr again by spring.

I got to drive this thing.........it is the same engine and chassis of the CLK, it was a blast!

Cheers,

GREG