PDA

View Full Version : SIP Observation.

AudiOn19s
07-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Maybe I"m just crazy but has anyone else noticed that SIP appears to do quite a bit of filling while using it to polish...much more so than the old IP or even PG?

I got a sample from another board member to try out and the first vehilce I tried it out on was my Black Audi which hasn`t been polished in over a year. Process was SIP / Purple LC foamed wool pad @ 1600 rpm (x2) on one door and SIP / Orance LC pad (x2) on the rear quarter. Both pannels looked very close to defect free when finished. I Finished up with 85RD on a blue LC pad @ 1000 rpm on both pannels and topped with Wolfgang sealant by hand.

Fast Forward 3 weeks. The pannels still look very good but some very small markings are now starting to come out a bit. The car has been rained on several times and washed once (appropriately) and it appears as though it could have used some more polishing during the initial application of SIP but that this was not detectable even in direct sunlight becasue the SIP filled in the marks.

I`m almost scared to do an alcohol wipedown to see if anything else is still hiding down there.

Anyone else notice this filling with SIP. I should have done an alcohol wipedown at the beginning but not having this issue with any of the Menzerna products in the past lead me to believe that I would not have this issue.

Andy

Old Pirate
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
I use 106ff and had some minor problems like you said, then i use SIP and it corrected the small areas i had and i use Meg`s QD for a wipe down and so far no problems. Its been a week now , so i keep looking at my wife`s car to see if anything appears.

AL-53
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I tend to do a wipe down after a polishing with cleaner type QD or Alc and water to see whats left...the lubricating agents seem to hide any thing not cleared up...

I use SIP alot and I do wipe down after...

AL

Alfisti
07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
...much more so than the old IP or even PG?

These polishes have no filling ability. I haven`t used SIP, but I`d be surprised if it fills. In my experience, Menzerna produce no filling polishes.

SuperBee364
07-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I tend to do a wipe down after a polishing with cleaner type QD or Alc and water to see whats left...the lubricating agents seem to hide any thing not cleared up...

I use SIP alot and I do wipe down after...

AL

Me too, Al.

Everytime I use either SIP or 106ff (or both), I do an IPA wipedown, then do a complete halogen inspection.

AL-53
07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
These polishes have no filling ability. I haven`t used SIP, but I`d be surprised if it fills. In my experience, Menzerna produce no filling polishes.

I am not saying they have fillers....but the lube agents can hide lite imperfections if not cleaned off...

Al

imported_rydawg
07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I know for sure they do not have fillers. After all my correction work is done I wash the car completly with a strong solution of z7/splash of safe degreaser and dry. Then I do a wipedown with prep solvent and then z6 wipedown just to 100% sure there are no marks at all. I then inspect all my work with the halogens.

Either they were all not removed or they were installed accidently.

imported_FMINUS
07-12-2007, 01:54 PM
The Menzernas are oily that it tends to have the filling effect in my opinion

SpoiledMan
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
No filling from any of the Menzerna polishes that I have used and I have used a good number of them.

imported_rydawg
07-12-2007, 11:43 PM
There are 2 kinds of oils.

Nutrient polishing oils - help replenish the oils in older paints to give the added wet look, mostly fills as it polishes. These kinds of oils are pretty much dated and used for older finishes.

lubricating oils - Helps lubricate the mechanical abrasives while in operation and will help with the proper breakdown while the micro grit self diminishes into an ultra fine grit, so the chances of marring is greatly reduced.

Menzerna uses lubricating oils and the best of them too. When the polish is broken down properly you should have a clear surface. If it is oily then (a) too much polish was used or (b) if using a pc, the pc is not breaking the polish down enough for the condition of the poor finish that is being worked on and a rotary is needed to break it down properly. (c) if using a rotary, then you need to work the polish into the paint gently and not focus on passes. I think too many people focus on quick passes and forget that this polish needs to be worked in to get 100% results.

I have used SIP 3.01 and the uk version 3.02 on over 60 plus cars so far and have had above excellent results. I have had severe finishes turn into show quality finishes, then washed and wiped down with commercial grade body shop prep solvent which removes all oils instant and will still have a perfect flawless finish ready for my sealant process.

My observation (make this a mental note)

2 drops of SIP is equal to a 6 inch stripe of conventional light/medium duty compound. There are equal or more lubes and abrasive counts in the 2 drops of SIP versus the 6 inch conventional polish/compound. The abrasives in SIP are 1/100`s of an inch smaller but much much sharper and much more precise. It goes the same for the lubricating oils. The 2 drops of SIP is equivilant to a 6 to 12 inch stripe.

So bottom line is to use 2 to 4 drops to prime the pad max and then 2 drops per 2x2 section MAX! A 32oz. bottle should do 60 plus cars. It is HIGHLY concentrated. Too much polish on the pad will make it go into hydro mode. 8 drops on the pad will make it go into hydro mode and it will not work proper.

I have tested everything with SIP and have pushed it over it`s limits. :D :waxing:

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks

Ryan

ZoranC
07-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Rydawg, thank you for the info and pointers, that was very valuable!

Which solvent you are using?

imported_rydawg
07-13-2007, 12:12 AM
No problem! Just trying to help everyone out.

I use extreme final wipe. They are pretty much all the same as long as it is a prep solvent. Just make sure you do not touch any moldings or plastic lens with this stuff. It will dry them out and ruin them for good. Excellent for removing old waxes etc... I sometimes will do it before polishing to remove any waxes so there is no pad hop or bindage. Sometimes old contaminates stuck in paint can get in the way of the way a polish works.

imported_rydawg
09-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Just to make a clarifacation on my latest extreme testing.....USE ALCOHOL to inspect all work when complete. I have tested different wipedowns and hard to believe that alcohol was the true winner at removing the polish lubricants. It works out better cause alcohol is more readily available to everyone.