PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean the crevices between seats?

Pages : [1] 2

johny
07-11-2007, 08:22 AM
How do y`all clean the gaps between the front seats and the center console? I can peek down there and see some dirt and whatnot, but I am unable to reach it. I don`t want to remove my seats (because I am afraid of screwing something up) and all the vacuums I have seen don`t have crevice attachments that seem long enough. Is there some super-skinny brush or something that I could use to reach down there to scrub the upholstery? Thanks for any information.

Setec Astronomy
07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Preface: I haven`t actually done this.

I would take a plastic kitchen spatula with a MF draped over it and slide it through there. If there is sticky stuff you could saturate the MF with whatever you use to clean your interior. This is a derivative of the window cleaning method espoused by a.k.a. Patrick.

brwill2005
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
There are long crevice tools available for shop vacs and carpet extractors.

johny
07-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the quick response. That is a clever idea; a spatula could get into the crevices with no problem. Thanks!

johny
07-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah, the only vacuums that I have looked at are at Wal-Mart. All the crevice tools only appear to be a few inches. I watched a video with a professional detailer and he had a crevice tool that was like a foot long!

AutoCadillac
07-11-2007, 08:47 AM
The spatula is a good idea. I use an old BBQ spatula to get to the far reaches of my rear window.

Also, look at the shop vac accessories at Home Depot. They have a big assortment at the one I shop at. I think I even have seen some that made for really tight and small spaces.

BobD
07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah, the only vacuums that I have looked at are at Wal-Mart. All the crevice tools only appear to be a few inches. I watched a video with a professional detailer and he had a crevice tool that was like a foot long!

Get a Shop Vac or Rigid or similar. I have a Rigid with a ShopVac car kit that has a long narrow crevice tool.

Accumulator
07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
There are long crevice tools available for shop vacs and carpet extractors.

Yeah, I can`t remember where I got mine (and I can`t seem to find it online at present), but I got a set of long/thin ones that will get into most *any place*. These are really handy, only about 3/8" in outside diameter.

Thomas Dekany
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I use a steam cleaner. Nothing stays behind :D

imported_themightytimmah
07-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I like to soak `em down with carpet mix in a spray bottle, then hit them with a vacuum and an extension... anything the vacuum misses, I get with a grunge MF.

natebood
07-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Walmart has a brush for this very purpose or did have one, even has a magnet on the handle end! lol

I dont` use it too often, but it works for when I need it.

David Fermani
07-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Try foamy spot cleaner and high pressured air. The foam will loosen up the dirt(it`s probably not ground in dirt) and the air will blow it away.

Fast Eddie
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I use a steam cleaner. Nothing stays behind :D

That`s what I use too, only way to go as far as I`m concerned.

kastanaras
07-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Sometimes if the gap is even too tight for crevice tool I use a toothbrush. But yeah right crevice tool should be able to do most of them.

PhaRO
07-14-2007, 12:46 AM
There is a Mr Clean Tile and Grout brush that I picked up at Big Lots. I`ve seen the same brush or similar in many stores though. It reaches a lot of areas my vacuum tools can`t. I have a 12" crevice tool that reaches most areas. Often I have to move the seat all the way up or back and come in parallel to the carpeting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/comicgirl/4306.jpg