PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Leather Seats?

Mliner
06-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I have put about 4-5 coats of Adams Leather Conditioner on my Seats for about 2-3 months now,And i want to Start fresh again what kind of product can i use to degrease the previous usage?Simple green?

CharlesW
06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
I have put about 4-5 coats of Adams Leather Conditioner on my Seats for about 2-3 months now,And i want to Start fresh again what kind of product can i use to degrease the previous usage?Simple green?First off, I`m not a fan of Simple Green for anything. (And I realize a lot of people are and that`s great for them.)
Anyway, my usual 6 parts of water to 1 part of Woolite mix would be what I would use. I really doubt that you will remove all the previous leather conditioner with one application of any product that won`t be harmful to the leather.
If it were me, I would just clean it once and apply my new leather conditioner. Then I would do it again each week.

Charles

Mike K
06-05-2005, 03:52 PM
I have expeimented wih my leather seats and on my wifes car, and I have to say the advice CharlesW relied with is absolutely the way to go. It works.

I would be inerested in why you would want to strip out previous treatments though. If your getting overproductized in treatment, I would clean with the woolite mixture, and lightly go over with 303 for awhile, until you see your leather needs a little more nourishment.

my 2cents

Mliner
06-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Well i dont think my leather is really dirty,the thing is that is it bad to put lots of layers from time to time and keep adding it?When will it be time to degrease it or take off previous coats?

kimwallace
06-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Well i dont think my leather is really dirty,the thing is that is it bad to put lots of layers from time to time and keep adding it?When will it be time to degrease it or take off previous coats?
I wouldn`t worry about it unless the leather is looking dirty, feeling greasy, or looking like plastic ... then ... I would either use Charles` process or buy some Four Star Ultimate Leather Cleaner from PAC.
I use the 4* and it gets the leather extremely clean.
I would never use Simple Green on the seats unless they are beyond cleaning any other way.
Just my .02

Mliner
06-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all your responses. :beer

TheSopranos16
06-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Here is my leather cleaning process....

I start by putting 4* Leather Cleaner on the seat, then I spray the area i`m working on with water. I want the seat to be fairly wet but not soaked. Next, I use a gentle brush and scrub the seat until I feel it is clean (how long I scrub depends on how dirty the seat was). Then I use a paper towel and wipe the seat dry. Finally, I spray the seat with water again and then wipe it dry once more. This final "rinse" helps to get any remaining dirt (or in Mliner`s case old product) off the seat. It also makes sure that you got all of the leather cleaner off.

I usually follow up wit 4* Leather Conditioner since it is my favorite one. But Zaino and Pinnacle Leather conditioners are also top notch IMO. Hope this helps...

groebuck
06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Keep in mind that 90% of the leather in cars these days (unless you are paying a house payment for a car payment) is coated. Coated leather is not REALLY like oh say shoe leather in that you are treating the leather - but rather you are treating the coating. When you see or get cracked leather seats or what have you - what you really see is that the leather has dried out (sort of like how a "skin" develops on pudding and cracks :lol). I beleive...now adays that the coating is somewhat "breathable" meaning the conditioners in leather conditioner do get to the leather - but you need products designed for cleaning and conditioning car leather (i agree 100% 4* twins for leather cleaning and conditioning - but I only use MF towels no brush)...now that being said - ordinary cleaners not really designed with this in mind will clean the leather - but simple green in particular and others in general are also designed to break down grease and oils and what have you - good if it`s BK drippings, bad if it`s natural oils in the hide! :)

stluciedetail
06-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Ardex - Its "OK Green" is some good xxxx for cleaning leather. Mix 1 gallon with 4 gallons of water

NYV6Coupe
06-09-2005, 09:58 AM
I`ve had great success using the Lexol twins, 2 MF brick shaped applicators (1 misted for cleaning and 1 dry for conditioning), and MF towel(s) for buffing.

Use a clean, dedicated 2" paint brush for cleaning thoroughly in & around the seams before cleaning.

I let the conditioner sit on the seats for a while (to soak in? whatever) before buffing & I don`t find the leather to be too shiny (common complaint) or greasy.