PDA

View Full Version : What Rotary Should I Get?

Pages : [1] 2

tubafeak
06-05-2005, 01:13 PM
I had my graduation party last night/this morning and I am now well enough gifted :dancin to be able to afford a nice high quality rotary outfit. I was wondering what everyone considers to be the best rotary for these requirements: Low maintenance, user friendliness (Learning curve and ease of use), durability, etc. I will be using this machine for some time to come and would like to have a machine that will last me as long as I can stand to use it. Also, locations where I can purchase them would be great appreciated though not mandatory.

Thanks.

Boss_429
06-05-2005, 02:43 PM
tuba,

There are several good ones... as with most things, it`s a matter of choice.

I happen to have an older Milwaukee rotary and love it. It is a extremely durable, solid machine. However it is heavy.

The DeWalt DW849 is another favorite... and for good reasons! It is also well built and durable. I`ve had the chance to use one, and still prefer the Milwaukee. However, if I had never used the Milwaukee, I would be very satisfied with the DeWalt

I was also recently given a brand new Makita 9227 for my B-day. While I`ve only had the chance to use it twice, I`ve found it to be very handy. It is considerably lighter than the Milwaukee or the DeWalt. Many people use this one and prefer it for this reason. I like to use the rotary (and PC) without a handle. The lighter weight makes it a bit easier to do that. We`ll see how it holds up.

As for where to get them, that depends. Dwayne has the Makita and DeWalt at Premium. Of course, there are tons of other places to get them, including locally.

Hope this helps.

PhaRO
06-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey boss on the PC without the handle what do you do with it when you are not using it. I like it without handle too but have been using the handle to prop it up when I sit it down.

maximv1
06-05-2005, 04:53 PM
i use a makita at work and i love it. we bought around 3 years ago and it runs perfect. i use it on average for about 2 hours a day at least

Boss_429
06-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey boss on the PC without the handle what do you do with it when you are not using it. I like it without handle too but have been using the handle to prop it up when I sit it down.
PhaRO,

I made a quick "buffer" holder by taking a 5" wide, 1" board (18" long). Then I cut two 4" wide 1" boards and screwed them into the each side of the 5" wide board... works great!

A long, narrow box of any sort would work... for a while. Even the box that the PC or rotary comes in would work.

J.J.
06-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I bought this ONE (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92623)
from Harbor Freight. I`m just a weekend enthusiast and may only use a rotary 5 times a year whenever a friend need serious work done but, for the price, you can`t beat it. It has all the functional features of the Makita at 1/6 the cost. I plan to do a full review of the machine when it arrives. I ordered the 4.75 inch backing plate from Autogeek so I can use my PC pads with the machine. All-in-all, it was about a $60 investment. Not bad IMO, even if it doesn`t last!

JJ
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/92600-92699/92623.gif

GregCavi
06-05-2005, 05:20 PM
IM planning on getting that same one soon. I figure it will be good to try out. I have to say im a little nervous about it though. I am going to get a test hood and such but it will be a nervous activity for a while.

Greg

Boss_429
06-05-2005, 05:39 PM
IM planning on getting that same one soon. I figure it will be good to try out. I have to say im a little nervous about it though. I am going to get a test hood and such but it will be a nervous activity for a while.

Greg Use slower speeds (around 1000 RPM)
Use light pressure.
Use milder polishes at first.
At first, err on the side of a little "too much product", rather than "too little".
Have plenty of pads so you can change them when they get gummed up with polish... and they will if you are using too much polish... you will get the knack.
Keep foam pads "flat" when working the paint.

Your plan of practicing on some "klunker" is a good idea! :D

PhaRO
06-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Thank you Boss I`ll put one together soon.

Boss_429
06-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Thank you Boss I`ll put one together soon.
No problem... and good luck! :bigups

Mikeyzr
06-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I wrote a review on the DeWalt 849 not too long ago. It is a great machine. I have also use a Milwaukee, not sure on the model, but also a good machine. I think the DeWalt was the quietest of all to work with, which is nice especially on a larger vehicle. Don`t be afraid to put your hands on a rotary. Boss had some great advice. Make sure your lighting is also good so you can tell right away if you are putting some holograms in your paint. Then, you can take corrective action insted of moving on. I have never used the one from Harbor Freight, but if you have the coin, just get the DeWalt or another quality machine. It will last you forever and shouldn`t break down on you. Pads and accessories are also very easy to find.

Mike

tubafeak
06-06-2005, 06:01 AM
I think I`m leaning towards the Makita as of right now. I like the lighter weight, I am thinking that it will give me more control over how much pressure goes into the pad because more of it will be added by me. Handily enough, when I bought my Honda the guy that I bought it from had an extra hood that he threw in with the deal, I have a test panel. I`ll be buying the rotary after I get back from California, I`ll update you guys on what I get.

Thank you a lot for all of your suggestions, keep them coming. I like to have all of the perspectives when I`m making a big purchase like this.

Way2SSlow
06-06-2005, 06:16 AM
I`ve got the Makita. I`ve had it for a few years now...never had a problem.

tubafeak
06-06-2005, 06:35 AM
I was just on TOTL and I saw the metabo. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? It seems to be a step above the Makita, I`m not 100% sure what that means but I`m interested.

mgm2003
06-06-2005, 07:39 AM
I was just on TOTL and I saw the metabo. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? It seems to be a step above the Makita, I`m not 100% sure what that means but I`m interested.

A metabo is on my wish list. It is VERY light weight, has variable speed control trigger, and every owner I`ve heard from loves it. It`s a bit more expensive, but seem to be worth the extra $$. TOL has the updated model that just came out a few months ago.

I have a DW849 -very good, reliable machine. But after a few hours it can get heavy.