PDA

View Full Version : When to use Cleanser

Ern
07-09-2007, 09:04 AM
When is a good time to use paintwork cleansers? Do they remove sealants or waxes?

sspeer
07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Wouldn`t be much of a paintwork cleanser if it couldn`t remove a wax or sealant.

I like to use them after a clay session, unless you have severe oxidation, then I`d hit a cleanser first, just so you don`t use up the clay so quickly..

Clay will remove contamination `above` the paint, the cleansers will get the stuff in the pores

Ern
07-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Ok, I can see using it after clay. Id hate to remove my current wax and sealant unless I was changing it to try something else. I see that its something you wouldnt use to terribly often?

imported_smprince1
07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
If you don`t want to remove your wax or sealant then use a gentle car wash shampoo specifically designed to not remove LSPs.

A paint cleanser is usually used to remove oxidation or other contamination during a full detail.

Accumulator
07-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I haven`t used a paint cleaner at all in, oh....maybe the last ten years. I get good cleaning from clay and (usually very mild) polishes. My preferred paint cleaner is Pinnacle PCL (and I kinda prefer the old version, which I have a lot of), but I can`t remember the last time I used it.

Ern
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I haven`t used a paint cleaner at all in, oh....maybe the last ten years. I get good cleaning from clay and (usually very mild) polishes. My preferred paint cleaner is Pinnacle PCL (and I kinda prefer the old version, which I have a lot of), but I can`t remember the last time I used it.

Thats exactly what I have but dont see me using unless im claying maybe. Just bought it becuase I guess.

Jimmie
07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
If I`m not using an AIO then the Paintwork Cleanser comes out between a polish and carnauba. It leaves the paint squeaky clean (no oils).

Accumulator
07-09-2007, 04:10 PM
ern- I`d give it a try and see if you think it`s beneficial. I used to use it all the time and I might be forgetting how good it is ;)

Jimmie- Yeah, the cleansers really *do* leave that squeaky-clean feeling, but I sometimes wonder if some of `em don`t leave some stuff behind too :nixweiss

BTW, I *love* that pic of the pup in your avatar :xyxthumbs

MatrixXRS
07-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I tend to use "cleansers" between my polish and LSP stages. Either Sonus Paintwork Cleanser of Klasse All-In-One. You could argure that they don`t really do anything, but I feel they leave the surface perfectly prepped for a good paint sealent or wax.