PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Helmet Detailing

audicoupej
07-09-2007, 08:18 AM
I purchased my first bike in February and it came with a used helmet. I use it as a spare since I bought a new helmet. I was wondering what to use on the interior, especially the older helmet. I`ve been trying to febreze it and it helps but not enough. The older helmet does not have a removable liner either. Should I just handwash with water and woolite and let airdry with a fan on it. I am afraid to steam it as it might loosen the adhesive or degrade the helmets structural integrity.

Ideas?

imported_Gears
07-09-2007, 08:49 AM
I`ve been using a Shoei RF200 as my night time helmet for 15 years. I just soak the pads and let it dry, never had any problems.

Never though to use Woolite, I always used a diluted laundry detergent.

In super hot weather like we are having now I will wet the interior of my helmet at rest stops and that helps to keep my head cool.

audicoupej
07-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks Gears!

I will probably just use the woolite. I read online on a bike forum just to use the bathtub and let the helmet soak in soapy water for a while then rinse well and let air dry.

In the hot weather I wear something on my head to help absorb the sweat. Right now I just use a bandana but I want to get a head wrap like the Under Armor type.

sspeer
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Semi off topic, but you should replace a helmet every few years, even if it hasn`t been `bumped`. The foam that protects your head gets brittle over time and safety can be compromised.

Buying a used one is especially scary since you don`t know the history of it..even falling off a table, will spend some of the energy absorbing qualities of the foam..plus it`s kind of like using someone else`s toothbrush in my mind LOL

Plus, many new helmets will utilize moisture wicking and removable liners (My reasonably priced Scorpion helmet does)

audicoupej
07-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks Sspeer. I know that helmets should be replaced around the 5 year mark. I plan on getting a new one for a passenger. I just want to clean this one up for now.

I think I will just use this method: Cleaning the Inside of Your Helmet How-To @ ::[ SportbikeGuy.com ]:: (http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/lid-inside-clean.html)