PDA

View Full Version : Pre-detail help sought

Texas Lexus
07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Okay, my UDM and the last little bit of my supplies will be here next Tuesday and I need a little advise from you veterans.

1) I am going to practice on my relatives cars before I work my way up to my car, a 2007 Lexus IS, black. Paint has some very minor swirling. I have the following polishes and LSP`s. XMT360, SSR 1-2.5, Menz 106ff, WG DGPS, Souveran paste, NB, NR, MaxWax, CK carnuba moose, and RMG. I like the look of the DGPS topped with the Souveran, but the Souveran topped with the RMG looks good as well. What should I do, and do you guys have any other recommendations.

2) With the UDM, what speeds should I use considering it`s more powerful than the PC? I have never used a machine like this before so this will be my first time using it. Any rules of thumb in regards to what speed for what type of product. I will use CCS pads.

3) What order should I use my products? It`s wash, clay, polish, protect, correct?

Thanks in advance. AG and Autopia have gotten about $900 of my money over the past 4-5 weeks. This stuff is addicting and I haven`t even started yet! I hope to get good enough and comfortable enough to do some side work.

Just02
07-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Hello! I`m in the same boat as you, just a bit further ahead. I just finished my first detail today with the UDM, of course, and let me tell you! I spent about 8.5 hours on polishing and sealing, not including the wash and claying process. The car looks excellent now.

Yup. You`re right, it`s wash, clay, polish, protect (make sure you get all of the polish off before doing so), and enjoy!

Don`t be affraid to start on your IS. (BTW, nice car, my cousin just got an IS350. They`re fast and very elegant. :clap: Are you a member of clublexus.com?)

Anyway...

I`d start out with a finishing pad (or one even softer; I used the supplied white pad and was incredibly surprised; however, I would suggest you use the grey CCS pad since you don`t need any cut from the pad). I think 106ff will be your best bet, or XMT360. Just remember to work it in properly!

The UDM is interesting, I`ve found that setting 1 is similar to hand movements, settings 2-3 are great for paint cleaners, settings 4-5.5 are great for polishing, and 6 was neat, it reminded me of warp 9.95. Speed 6 should allow polishes like 106ff to properly break down.

EDIT:

I just noticed you wanted recommendations for sealants/waxes. I like following 106ff with Prime and Acrylic Jett: Trigger, both from Jeff`s Werkstatt. :) I hope that helps! Oh. and if you only have slight marring, check out Prime Strong.

Texas Lexus
07-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Anyone else have any opinion?