PDA

View Full Version : Bumper finishing blues!

ej8tunerman
07-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Im just gonna give cliff notes here because I spent 30 minutes typing this huge post and then when I went to post it it logged me out somehow and I lost it

-Car is a 1998 Honda Civic Coupe. Cypress Green Pearl in color. Swirl free finish and in pretty damn good condition. Modded with many OEM JDM parts.

-My painter is very good and ive pretty much never had a problem from him ever.

-While doing my rear disk conversion on May 25th, my dad scratches my bumper and when I go to buff it out with PC/OC/LC light cutting pad the paint chips off due to the bumper getting too hot. There is now a chip and wave in the middle of the top portion of the bumper.

-Take bumper to painted June 1st. 1.5 weeks later he still isnt done so I call and he said he never even started yet. A week and a half later he calls and says to come pick it up. It looks ok from what I see and I get it home put it on the car. he says he paitned it twice because his coworker forgot to fix the wave. While im inside some bosnian girl hits the bumper with her bike while riding in between my GF`s and my car, then denies it. There is leftover tire tread across the bumper and ends up buffing off that night

-While examining the bumper that night with my halogen, I notice the metallics are HORRIBLY layed out, and its streaked to hell. Note that the bumper had no orange peel and in low light, regular sunlight you could not tell any flaws. I then see where they spotted it when they had to go back and fix the wave and it looks like the put not enough coats of base on it. Its horrible.

-I take it back the next monday and he says bring it in the following monday and hell redo it. I said I can work with that so that way i can get it done quickly. Fast forward to today and I call and hes like yea its done, it was done tuesday, I thought I called you but I must not have.

-I get there and he asks if I use tire shine, and I told him yes, Why? He says the bumper fish eye around the edge where the tire is and I can redo it again if u want me to. I go in and look and its not good at all. The rest of the bumper looks great cept for this. So i put it on and see how noticeable it is and its not horrible but I HAVE to get it redone..This is ridiculous. He tells me he used prepsol but somehow it still fish eye. He says he smeared it with his finger when it fisheyed thinking it would help it spread but ended up hurting it.

-He says bring it back monday and he will block the edge and spot it in and I can pick it up tuesday morning. I say ok thanks and leave.

-I`m SOOO MAD right now I cant even think straight. 1 Month and 6 days and its till not properly painted. What do you all think of this crap!?

imported_themightytimmah
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
It happens. Body shops do not usually aim for the Autopian market... I`ve seen some pretty terrible repairs on customer cars that they didn`t even notice.

99blackSE
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I just got two new F and R bumpers for my car painted as well, they look alright initially. They will be sitting inside the garage at home for a month before they even see outside again though, I can already see the bugs hitting the paint and totally screwing it up, being soft and all.

Hope it finally turns out right out for ya.