PDA

View Full Version : My buffer just broked today =(

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Reflectionz
07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
My generic Vector buffer just broked today.. its been a nice run for about a year and i`ll miss it. :cry: well worth the $90 (heard its $50 at autozone)..

Anywho.. just ordered a Metabo today with 2 days delivery and pretty excited about it. my question is im is this $200+ machine reliable? im going to be using it outside in the sun non stop... any problems with that?

mr.ikon
07-06-2007, 01:34 AM
interesting. how did it happen? mine is still going strong. good luck with the metabo. im sure you`ll get more usage out of that one.

imported_Reflectionz
07-06-2007, 02:13 AM
interesting. how did it happen? mine is still going strong. good luck with the metabo. im sure you`ll get more usage out of that one.

you mean you have a vector too and its still going strong? how long have you had it for? how much do you use it?

well.. i treated mine like complete crap, mainly because i knew it was cheap and this was my first buffer to practice on before buying an expensive one.. although im most likely going to buy another one of these because i liked it so much. i didnt have high expectations for it, although it was a very good machine. i tripped over the cord and dropped it on a few ocasions, i use it in the heat, in the cold, and even once let it out in the rain for a good while. the cord has 2 rips on it due to shutting my tailgate on it and accidently tugging on it, and i use to just throw it in the back of my truck whenever im done and just let it slide around.

the day before 4th of july, i noticed a little loss in power.. i always spin it at 3 1/2 and am very familiar with that speed and it didnt feel like it was on that speed, maybe like 3 or 2 1/2, but i though it was all in my head. today, i knew something was wrong. it started kind of clicking and clacking some and the power loss was more noticeable.. i knew it was gonna break. it would spin slow, speed up some, etc. there was like no more torque either. and the sound was horrible like you knew it was gonna break down anytime. speed 6 felt like 2 at times. and it eventually went out.

i went back to the paint store i got it at but it came with no waranty.. i just wanted their opinion. the guy said that most likely the brushes/wires inside wore out, and thats normal for every buffer. but since mine is generic, there is no replacement for the brushes/wires.

o well, its been a good run. :up

ThEGuN1
07-06-2007, 05:31 AM
^the machine sounded like it went to Hell and came back ...then died LOL! I will be getting one to practice before I pick up a hitachi.

mr.ikon
07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
you mean you have a vector too and its still going strong? how long have you had it for? how much do you use it?

well.. i treated mine like complete crap, mainly because i knew it was cheap and this was my first buffer to practice on before buying an expensive one.. although im most likely going to buy another one of these because i liked it so much. i didnt have high expectations for it, although it was a very good machine. i tripped over the cord and dropped it on a few ocasions, i use it in the heat, in the cold, and even once let it out in the rain for a good while. the cord has 2 rips on it due to shutting my tailgate on it and accidently tugging on it, and i use to just throw it in the back of my truck whenever im done and just let it slide around.

the day before 4th of july, i noticed a little loss in power.. i always spin it at 3 1/2 and am very familiar with that speed and it didnt feel like it was on that speed, maybe like 3 or 2 1/2, but i though it was all in my head. today, i knew something was wrong. it started kind of clicking and clacking some and the power loss was more noticeable.. i knew it was gonna break. it would spin slow, speed up some, etc. there was like no more torque either. and the sound was horrible like you knew it was gonna break down anytime. speed 6 felt like 2 at times. and it eventually went out.

i went back to the paint store i got it at but it came with no waranty.. i just wanted their opinion. the guy said that most likely the brushes/wires inside wore out, and thats normal for every buffer. but since mine is generic, there is no replacement for the brushes/wires.

o well, its been a good run. :up

well yea you did leave it out in the rain for a good while. hahaha. well its been more than a year and a half. im very satisfied with it. i dont think i`ve put mine through all the conditions you have. so until then, this machine is doing what its meant to do.

imported_Reflectionz
07-06-2007, 12:57 PM
well yea you did leave it out in the rain for a good while. hahaha. well its been more than a year and a half. im very satisfied with it. i dont think i`ve put mine through all the conditions you have. so until then, this machine is doing what its meant to do.

it was sprinkling and i left it outside for a good 10 minutes.. nothing happened and that was a while back. im very satisfied with it too. do you use it in the sun or at a shop?

elitemobile
07-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I have had two vectors and think they are, for what they are, awesome! I have only had to for the reason that one of them was stolen not because one broke. The first one that got stolen i put through hell minus the rain part, haha, and it was going strong no sign of wear. I strongly reccomend this buffer to anyone starting out. Its cheap, light, and quiet.

mr.ikon
07-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Reflectionz- I`ve probably used it twice in the sun, mostly used inside the garage.

Elitemobile- I agree the vector is a wonderful machine. Cheap? Yes. Light and quiet? Ehh i dunno, i complain about the weight from time to time. I put it on a scale and it reads 7 lbs. or a little more. But the thing doesnt feel like it to me.

elitemobile
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
mr.ikon i can see where your coming from with the weight but it is on the lighter side of most rotaries, i think the balance of the weight is alittle off that what makes it seem heavier than it really is

mr.ikon
07-06-2007, 04:22 PM
mr.ikon i can see where your coming from with the weight but it is on the lighter side of most rotaries, i think the balance of the weight is alittle off that what makes it seem heavier than it really is

I just thought about it, and i totally agree. It seems that most of the weight is at the head.

salty
07-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I just had to finish a cut, polish on 3000rpm. Well not really as i had to feather the trigger. Not a Vector. PC 7428. I did wet clean a pad on the machine, did it a hundred times before, might be the problem. Might have to rip it apart or replace the speed dial.

I learned at speed 2000/3000 RPM Makita , back in the day. Speed doesn`t scare me.

mr.ikon
07-07-2007, 12:57 AM
hot damn. workin a polish at 3000 rpm. how did the panel come out?

salty
07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
The machines max RPM is 3000. I feathered the trigger so it was always around 1500. The car came out good. It was a buddy`s car, so i just told him if he sees any machine swirls to let me know and i`ll fix them.

imported_Reflectionz
07-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I just had to finish a cut, polish on 3000rpm. Well not really as i had to feather the trigger. Not a Vector. PC 7428. I did wet clean a pad on the machine, did it a hundred times before, might be the problem. Might have to rip it apart or replace the speed dial.

I learned at speed 2000/3000 RPM Makita , back in the day. Speed doesn`t scare me.

yea, i wish the vector or the new buffer im getting had a trigger that you can feather. 3000rpms for polishing? the max i did for cutting was 2000.. hell, the metabo only goes up to 2200.. hahaha. do you leave a lot of buffer trails polishing at 3000 or it comes out smooth? i think i might have to bump up my polishing speed up to 1500 because its not getting out the buffer trails quick enough, but im scared of leaving more with higher speeds.

imported_Reflectionz
07-07-2007, 02:56 PM
just got a new vector today for $60! haha. just cant help it for that price.

the new one ran a lot smoother than my old one.. a lot smoother! it was more quiet and spun better. maybe mine was running into some problems way before and i didnt notice it because i remembered the old one was making a clicking/clacking sound for a long time before it went out but i just got use to it and though it was normal. does yours make this small clacking noise?