PDA

View Full Version : needing your opinions to help with BMW paint

natural320
07-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey all,

I am looking to join the world of PC usage, but I`ve read so many articles here that my head hurts. so I apologize if this is redundant, but I would really appreciate any and all help.

I just bought a 2004 BMW 325xi with Mysticblue metallic paint. it`s got it`s fair share of swirls and scratches (nothing MAJOR though) that I tried to remove/hide by hitting the car with the Klasse twins using hand application...

the end result was a "shiny" finish with its fair share of swirls and scratches! it looks great from about 5 feet away, but after reading these boards for months...I am in the pursuit of perfection (or as close as I can get with a daily driver!), and the imperfections really bug the hell out of me.

I am looking for product selection help because I`ve read that BMW paint is a pain to work with (but well worth the effort). I`ve got the Klasse twins on hand (bought last summer, not looking to toss them by any means), but that is it.

I, obviously, need something to go under them, but I don`t know what that something should be.

so if anyone can help me out, I`d really appreciate it. my plan will be:

1. wash - megs gold class

2. clay - clay magic

3. YOUR HELP HERE

4. YOUR HELP HERE (if needed)

5. Klasse AIO - soon to be applied with the PC???

6. Klasse SG x2 - (by hand is still the best option, right?)

7. DG Aquawax like 1x per month as a topper

8. I`ve got DP and Sonus QD`s for mid-week touch-ups

and are any of the "starter" PC kits worth it, or is it better to go one item at a time? I`ve also read a lot about the UDM as well...is THAT the better buy?

thanks a lot for all of your help.

NickelPlated.45
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
If you get a pc then you will need a backing plate (depending on what size pads you plan on using), pads (my basic bread and butter pads are the lake country orange light cutting pad and white polishing pad), polish (you already have a finishing polish, maybe try menzerna intensive polish to remove the swirls?) and some nice mf towels to buff the residue (you probably already have these). Aside from that you might want some lights, just for general use and swirl spotting. A halogen tripod light works perfect for this.

Not sure about starter kits. I buy what i need when i need it. I started out with a 5.5" backing plate and 6" pads. On cars with harder clear, it makes correction a long and tedious process. So i bought some 4" pads and a 3.5" backing plate. Made correction much easier. I have a 4.5" plate and 5" pads coming in the mail. Can`t wait to try them.

Anyways, post some pics if you can. I got a thing for BMW`s :spot

Thomas Dekany
07-06-2007, 12:06 AM
with the pc????

BMW paint is very hard, but try SIP with an orange or even yellow cutting pad. Use very little polish and go slow. Push down on the pc.

silvergray
07-06-2007, 12:09 AM
I`d say screw the PC and try out the UDM.

natural320
07-06-2007, 07:56 AM
I`ll get a few pics up within a day or so and try to show you guys what I am working with. the toughest part here probably isn`t doing the work, but deciding on which tool to purchase! PC seems tried and true...but the UDM seems like the wave of the future. My fear is messing up my paint (and the subsequent $$$ that would be required to fix it)

rezbmr
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
pc or udm will not mess up the paint...a rotary will...stick with one of those 2 and go to town...

Glossequation
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I`d say screw the PC and try out the UDM.

And I say screw the UDM and go right for the rotary. Practice a bit on some panels and use that full time. You`ll soon see the benefits of not having to spend 6-8 hours polishing a car with a random orbit. I should have done this originally, but opted for the PC. And to this day I`m still spending countless hours trying to get defects out.