PDA

View Full Version : clearcoat scratches

darylnj
07-05-2007, 09:21 AM
black mc tank with z5

some clearcoat scratches only visible up close at certain angles

what can i do by hand?

should i just fill them with a top coat?, if so what are some good products?

kapinnn
07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Do you have pictures? There isn`t much you can do about scratches by hand. I would recommend maybe scratchX by meguiar`s by hand. It can help with hairline scratches.

That do you mean by top coat? If you are talking about a wax or sealant, it won`t hide much of the scratches. A glaze could do that depending on how bad the scratches are.

Pictures would definitely help.

darylnj
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
who`s glaze do you recommend?

Accumulator
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
darylnj- Welcome to Autopia. My limited experience with Scratch-X convinced me that it`s a PIA to use. I`d go with polished from 1Z (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ) which are both effective and pretty user-friendly by hand (they`re the only products I ever recommend for by-hand use). They`re not compatible with the Zaino approach though, so use a wax instead of the Z5. I`d go with something from Collinite, maybe their 845 Insulator Wax.

kapinnn
07-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I would follow Accumulator`s suggestion. I don`t do anything by hand except for hard to reach areas and have yet to find a product I like. Be prepared to use a lot of elbow grease as polishing by hand can be really hard.

Glazes can hide some light swirls and marring but I cannot judge what kinf of scratches you got from that picture. Clearkote vanilla moose (by hand) and Clearkote red moose (by machine) seem like popular products here but I have not used them myself yet.

darylnj
07-05-2007, 03:22 PM
think i will try the filling approach,the scratches are not that bad

i think the z5 reflects them even more.any glazes i can use over z5

kapinnn
07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Remember, the filling will just hide it. If you don`t top the glaze with a wax you will get no protection out of it. The glaze will also be gone in no time.

Accumulator
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
think i will try the filling approach,the scratches are not that bad

i think the z5 reflects them even more.any glazes i can use over z5

I`d rather have the glazes adhering to bare paint, so I`d take the Z5 off with rubbing alcohol or something.

Commonly available glazes: 3M IHG, Meguiar`s #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal step #2 polish.

But I`d buy the 1Z, which does some mechanical/abrasive correction along with some hiding ;)

The Vanilla Moose wouldn`t be sufficient in this case (IMO).

I`d top whatever you do with Meguiar`s #26 if you don`t go with the Collinite.

brwill2005
07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
One Grand Special Touch and Omega Glaze is an excellent combination by hand. Top it with any quality wax.

Accumulator
07-06-2007, 12:05 PM
One Grand Special Touch and Omega Glaze is an excellent combination by hand..

Yeah, people are always very happy with how the Omega works out.