PDA

View Full Version : Help with oxidized red!

66#1
07-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, after seeing all the miraculous turnarounds on red paint in the "Click and Brag" section of Autopia, I thought there might be help for my truck!

My truck has been sitting for quite some time without any kind of wax or polish on it. It`s under my carport,but the sun shines on one side of the truck and the tailgate. One side looks pretty good, but the side that gets sunshine on it is pretty bad. Part of the paint on the tailgate has cracked, and half of the hood is quite oxidized.

The hood has oxidized to the point that paint is "bleached." It looks almost white. I finally got the chance to work on the truck, and I was hoping for better results than what I got.

My plan was to go over the truck with Sonus SFX-1 using a yellow 4 inch SFX pad with my PC. I started on the side of the hood that was the worst by starting on speed 3 and then going to speed 6. I made several passes with this combo, but it didn`t make much of a difference. I was going to follow the SFX1 with Menzerna IP with a Sonus DAS Pad, but several passes with that didn`t make that much difference either. I went to IP on the yellow SFX pad, and Zaino PC on the orange pad. This helped somewhat, but I still have the bleached out look in places on the hood! It looks fine from straight on, but you can still see the bleaching from the side.

Except for the tailgate that was beyond hope, the rest of the truck turned out really well!

I did the bad side of the truck with the yellow pad/IP combo, followed by Zaino PC using the orange pad. It turned out really nice IMO. Not like new,but really,really good! The other side just got the Zaino PC/Orange Pad combo due to the paint being in better shape and running short of time. It looked really nice also! It was also coming up a storm,so I called it a day.

My next step will be ZAIO followed by either Z5 Pro or IW and Z8. I haven`t decided if I will use Zaino CS yet. It should look nice with either combo.

Anyway, I was a little let down by how the hood turned out! I thought the SFX and IP would do the trick on the oxidation. Do I need to step up to Powergloss or something else, or hire someone to go over the hood with a rotary?

The paint on my truck is almost 21 years old! I know that`s a long time,but I let the truck sit and go down WAY too long. It was almost show quality at one time. The tailgate was not that bad until just recently. It seemed to be fine one day, then it was cracked and peeling the next! I promise I take better care of my other vehicles! My truck would`ve never gotten in this shape if the guy who built the engine wasn`t incompetent, but that`s a whole other book!

new2mud
07-05-2007, 05:14 PM
I had good results on oxidized red with HTEC and Meg`s 83. Then again, my paint wasn`t to the bleached look yet.

dietoremain
07-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey get some meguiar`s M80. Cant go wrong with their stuff especially on single stage paint.