PDA

View Full Version : paste or liquid wax is there a difference

altimaser
07-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi,

I was at the local auto parts store and was wondering if there`s a difference between the longevity of paste and liquid wax?

I don`t mind waxing my car often but It kills me to wax my truck :)

BTW Is zymol liquid wax any good? I heard some guys saying it worked well --- but I only really listen to autopians

thanks

99blackSE
07-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I believe liquid gives a better look, whereas a paste lasts longer.

AutoCadillac
07-05-2007, 12:20 PM
An evil publication in these parts (Consumer Reports) did some testing of car waxes a few months back. Two of the findings in their tests were that (1) liquid waxes are more durable, and (2) paste waxes are easier to apply evenly.

In the 2nd item about paste waxes being easier to apply evenly, I`ll stress the evenly part. I`ve seen many people go overboard with liquid waxes. It seems they don`t understand how far most waxes will go. I do believe today`s paste waxes are pretty easy to apply properly. Wiping the pad over the top of the wax just seems to load the pad much easier than with liquids. You get more of the whole pad`s surface loaded whereas with a liquid, the wax is poured in a concentrated area of the pad and then you wind up with more wax on parts of the surface and thin or none applied to other areas.

rkf76
07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I was at the local auto parts store and was wondering if there`s a difference between the longevity of paste and liquid wax?

I don`t mind waxing my car often but It kills me to wax my truck :)

BTW Is zymol liquid wax any good? I heard some guys saying it worked well --- but I only really listen to autopians

thanksI`ve never done any testing so I can`t really say, but logic would say it depends on the products being compared and if you were comparing a product of the same brand in both liquid and paste types. Being that I used a machine, liquid waxes are easier for me to use, but I will bust out the S100 and now that I`ve used CG 50/50 I found another paste that I love. I stay on top of my car so durability isn`t much of a concern for me.

PhaRO
07-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I basically hate liquid waxes. I`ll still use them on occasion but for lsp`s my stars in the jars outnumber the cheese that I squeeze 10 to 1.

JustinDetail
07-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I prefer pastes as they seem to last a bit longer than most liquids. You might try poor boy`s natty`s blue or meg`s 26.

rkf76
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I basically hate liquid waxes. I`ll still use them on occasion but for lsp`s my stars in the jars outnumber the cheese that I squeeze 10 to 1.Why do you hate them?

FitSport
07-05-2007, 09:07 PM

thanks

Last I heard, Zymol Cleaner Wax is nothing more than Turtle Wax with a Zymol label on the bottle. Whatever the case maybe, that cleaner wax is not entirely a wax. It`s more of an AIO product. So, it cleans and leaves a wax-like film on the paint. IMHO, it`s best to spend the extra few bucks and get something like creme, carbon, japon, etc. if you`re thinking about trying Zymol waxes. They`re not exactly a liquid-wax-type company. :)

PhaRO
07-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Why do you hate them?

Just a personal preference. I feel I have more control with a paste than a liquid. When I mean paste I mean something like Souveran, Natty`s, P21S and not the cream in a jar such as Duragloss Paste Wax. A liquid builds up on my applicator different than a paste. While I have excellent hand control and can cut around trim and edge without making more work I find it is easier with a paste. I also apply wax to hard to reach areas with my finger tips and it`s easier to dab my fingers in the jar then to squeeze a drop on them. I could wipe them across the applicator when using a liquid but some liquids appear to be separating. Almost like one chemical is staying on the applicator.

If the product is available in liquid and paste I get the paste. If it is only available in liquid then I will give it a shot.