PDA

View Full Version : Use of California Car Duster

jw
07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Do you guys use these after your cars been driven. In the past i`ve only used this to get rid of dust after it sat clean in the garage overnight. With my new black car though i`m considering using it after i`ve driven it for the day. Is this a bad idea?

dheath
07-03-2007, 09:13 PM
you can use it, but with black I would say that it most likely won`t clean all of the dust off.

And it is probably going to leave streaks due to the dang wax on the fibers.

Any other color car and it looks better, but on black is starts streaking even when you are being VERY careful.

ruining
07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
As far as the streaking goes, have you let it sit on a couple of newspapers overnight? It will still leave enough of the oil on there to attract the dust, but won`t leave the residue on the finish near as much.

dheath
07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
isn`t it wax? not oils?

edit: no I haven`t tried it, but if it helps I will have to try it.

ruining
07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I haven`t used the larger ones for the outside of cars, but for the dash board dusters, it`s what they recommend. I could see it working the same if you are noticing a ton of wax/oils coming off.

Super_Herb
07-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I use mine plenty on a daily driven car....with the following rules...and yes, do put it on newspaper when new to absorb excess wax.

1. Do not use it on a hot car surface....it will leave streaks as the wax in the fibers will melt.

2. Do not use it on a car covered with heavy or stuck on dirt. It is only for light dust/pollen.

3. Do not use any pressure whatsoever, just drape the fibers lightly over the paint. What it doesn`t remove in this manner cannot be removed except by washing (unless you like marring).

4. If you think the car might be a bit too dusty/dirty for the California Duster......IT IS! Wash it and don`t take the chance. Always err on the side of caution.

Using those rules, I`ve used one successfully for many years without appreciable marring. It helps keep my car clean for longer periods between washes. You don`t get everything off with the Duster, but it takes most dust off. I can go 4 or 5 days during dry conditions without a wash with the duster versus 3 or less otherwise.

imported_never gone
07-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I don`t know what I`d do with out my duster! Every night when I get home after the car has cool off (that is the key), I dust the whole car and as long as you don`t get rain the car will stay looking spotless for weeks...not kidding. I will also do a qd spray every other night or so because the slicker your cars surface is, the better the duster works. Also most def keep it on a newspaper for a couple nights when you fist get it, that will get most of the wax off of it.

Statman
07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Herb is spot on. My car is BLACK and I use the California Duster a lot. Works great. I often use a QD after removing the dust/pollen.

Jngrbrdman
07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
The only place a CCD has in my garage is in the garbage can. The streaks and scratches aren`t worth it. I`d rather just QD the car and avoid the damage. The last duster I had burned very nicely and I`ll never buy another one.