PDA

View Full Version : How many washes to kill Z5 x2 + Z2 x2: 2 or 3!

Pages : [1] 2

barrettward
07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Anyhow, about three or four weeks ago, I felt like being a good son. I went and grabbed my parents cars and did a little work. Both cars are black and both needed a good once over. The first one I tackled- 05 911 Cab, need a through clay some SSR2.5 via orange PC and then Z5 + ZFX x2, then Z2 + ZFX x2. The second one, an 06 XJR needed clay 3M FI-II via white, and Z5,Z2,+ZFX x2.

Both cars looked great. I left dad a sheepskin wash mitt, a grit guard and told him, "Here, use these, I won`t have to do so much work next time." He said the cars looked good, my mom was thrilled, I took out a small imperfection that she left on the car at the grocery store. (bollard I would guess - right side of trunk)

Anyway, my wife and I go over this weekend for dinner, and both cars are outside in the rain. Neither one has a bead of water anywhere. I`m like WhatTheFruit?

"Dad, are you using the stuff I gave you?"

"Yeah, I really like the mitt."

"Ok, what soap are you using?"

"The white bottle in the cabinet."

We`re standing in the garage, so I open the cabinet and the only white bottle I see is a container of Ultra Ivory Dish Soap Classic Scent.

I hold up the container, "This stuff, you got to be ````t** me!"

"I taught you how to wash cars, what do you know? That stuff gets them squeaky clean!"

"Dad, I , but, oh, come`on man. Out of curiosity, how much do you use?"

"I don`t know, about half a bottle will do both cars."

"I`m going inside."

Needless to say, I`m gonna go reapply some sealant, and get the man some proper car wash. He said that he thinks he has washed the cars 2 or 3 times since I detailed them.

Sadly,

Barrett

stilez
07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Barrett: Since the surface it squeaky clean, you can apply Z. Next time, do an IPA wipedown after using the SSRs to remove polishing oils, or wash the car. Z needs an ultra clean surface to bond to.

To save a step, this is why Z-PC or Z-AIO fits in well.

barrettward
07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Barrett: Since the surface it squeaky clean, you can apply Z. Next time, do an IPA wipedown after using the SSRs to remove polishing oils, or wash the car. Z needs an ultra clean surface to bond to.

To save a step, this is why Z-PC or Z-AIO fits in well.

I don`t think your following me. I neglected to say that after machine polished I used ZAIO, and then applied the Z5 and Z2. What I was implying, is that by my father washing his cars weekly with Ivory dish soap has killed all of my hard work.

Barrett

BlueLibby04
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Did you give him/show him the right soap to use? Ive given up on showing my parents how to wash a vehicle. Ive put out everything I know and thats all I can do.. They do a decent job but end up calling me every time they do it to ask me a bunch of questions.. I guess its best that they do call..

Old Pirate
07-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I almost fell out of my chair when i saw your post. Well at least you get to do it again for them and show you Dad not to use the white bottle again. Replace it with a good car wash bottle for him with instructions too so there be no problem again or just do it for them.

imported_GregCavi
07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Dang! I am sorry to hear that man. After spending that much time, it gets removed.. I am sure once you show him the CORRECT soap to use, he will hopefully use it.

Greg

barrettward
07-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Dang! I am sorry to hear that man. After spending that much time, it gets removed.. I am sure once you show him the CORRECT soap to use, he will hopefully use it.

Greg

I can only hope, you know how stubborn parents can be. I`m just trying to protect my investment, if they both kick, I want some nice looking cars! Just Kidding.

I have about a half of the big bottle of Duragloss car wash, I`ll take it over and pray that he uses it. Sparingly!

Barrett

imported_GregCavi
07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
I can only hope, you know how stubborn parents can be. I`m just trying to protect my investment, if they both kick, I want some nice looking cars! Just Kidding.

I have about a half of the big bottle of Duragloss car wash, I`ll take it over and pray that he uses it. Sparingly!

Barrett

It may be helpful to take a clear plastic cup and draw a line to wear he should measure to. For instance, use 4 gallons of water, then fill soap to the line; mix. Make sure to change water/soap between vehicles!

Greg

tod071
07-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, looks like you missed a couple steps when you did the cars! You forgot to 1) THROW OUT THE IVORY LIQUID and 2) Show him the Z7 [edit] or Duragloss (sorry, I took too long to post) :laugh:

at least you have clean cars to start all over with.

mikelea4ever
07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
^^^ that so true. :)

Bigpoppa3346
07-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear that. I feel sorta the same way when I see my neighbor washing her red 330xi in direct sun with a rag and bathtowel, which I made swirl-free a few months ago.

imported_Dave1
07-02-2007, 07:27 PM
your a good son......:xyxthumbs

Give you mother the car wash you want him to use. Let her give it to him......

He`ll use it.........:D

imported_SHICKS
07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I feel your pain. I just did my Dad`s Callaway Vette with a full Z-treatment and I don`t want him to mess it up.

barrettward
07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
your a good son......:xyxthumbs

Give you mother the car wash you want him to use. Let her give it to him......

He`ll use it.........:D

I`m an only child, so Mom went to bat for me many times; however; now my dad`s my boss, so I don`t want to pee in anyone Cheerios. That is really humorous though. I can see my mom now:

You use that soap that Barrett gave you. So help me, when are you going to fix that leaky pipe under my sink, and another thing, I blah blah blah blah.

Phone rings: Can I sleep at your house tonight? No dad. Just use the soap and say you`re sorry.

Ok...............

barrettward
07-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, looks like you missed a couple steps when you did the cars! You forgot to 1) THROW OUT THE IVORY LIQUID and 2) Show him the Z7 [edit] or Duragloss (sorry, I took too long to post) :laugh:

at least you have clean cars to start all over with.

What I fail to comprehend, is that my father (back in the day) had a sear`s rotary, and would buy every infomercial car care product ever made. You would think that all that "knowledge" wouldn`t be wasted by scrubbing with dish soap.

I vividly remember that when I was 14 or 15 that he purchased the car wax that could not be touched, even by a laser. I hope I`m not making this stuff up, because I remember the infomercial and I thought it was kinda cool. They shot a high powered laser at the car finish and the host got burned? The car was fine. (Perhaps because it was metal?) Maybe I was hallucinating?

I`m just sad that the man whom I thought had all the answers 15 years ago, turns out to be a moron when it comes to cleaning his cars. On a side note: about the same time, 15 or so years ago, my father ruined the dryer after he washed the floor mats of his car and then put them in the dryer where the subsequently melted.

Do I really have the same DNA?