PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. UDM vs. Festool: Vibration comparision results are in

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ZoranC
07-02-2007, 02:20 AM
I have had a chance to compare vibrations of PC, UDM, and Festool RO 150 FEQ this weekend. PC was brand new 7336SP (6" counterweight) with 5" backing plate and 5" CCS pad. UDM was, to keep apples to apples, with "same" backing plate and pad. Rotex was with their supersoft 6" backing plate and same kind of pad as PC/UDM but in 6".

On each of 3, 4, 5, and 6 settings UDM was more pleasant to work with than PC. I spent 5 hours working with UDM today. My arm did not hurt nor tingle afterwards. My elbow (I have chronically injured righ elbow and I am rightie) was not getting irritated even though it gets irritated easily. When it comes to vibrations between PC and UDM give me UDM anytime.

Between UDM and Festool Festool`s vibrations were ... well ... that thing almost doesn`t vibrate. I mean, it does vibrate but it is nothing compared to UDM. In vibration category RO 150 FEQ is clear winner with huge lead. And it better be for money it costs.

kapinnn
07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Man I hadn`t even heard of this Festool before. I wish I knew about it before I bought my UDM, even though it costs more. How does the Festool compare to the other two as far as corrections, noise, etc?

miracledetail
07-02-2007, 10:36 AM
I have a Festool RO150, cost an arm and a leg and haven`t got round to using it yet, instead I let a friend borrow it, hopefully he`ll be along soon to give us his thoughts.

phamkl
07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I wouldn`t worry about not buying the Festool. It sounds like a great machine but it also MSRPs for over 200 dollars more than the PC (which MSRPs 50 dollars more than the UDM but the PC can usually be had for the same price to 30 dollars less than the UDM, either way, the Festool is in a different class of polisher.) I would imagine comparing the Festool to the UDM would be like comparing a Craftsman ratchet set to a Snap-On ratchet set. Craftsman is good but I mean c`mon, it`s Snap-On.

If you`ve the money for it, tight, if not than the UDM is an excellent deal.

Jngrbrdman
07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Interesting results. Personally I`m just all for the machine that works best. If it happens to cost more money, then so beit. If I can get the same results with a machine that vibrates a bit more than the more expensive one, well then that is an easy decision. Give me results over cost any day of the week. I don`t use expensive waxes and polishes because they are easier. I use them because they work better.

phamkl
07-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Well I`m just making assumptions about classes, considering costs.

We`ll have to wait for someone to show us correctional abilities of the two machines. Although truth be told, I personally wouldn`t mind if the UDM has equal abilities :D

vxrmarc
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a Festool RO150, cost an arm and a leg and haven`t got round to using it yet, instead I let a friend borrow it, hopefully he`ll be along soon to give us his thoughts.

Ok Ok Ok , you want it back.....:mad:

What can i say about the festool......

I have used it for around 2 months before realizing that unfortunatly it has to go back to its rightful owner........

The comparison between it and the pc i have is quite simply none.....

There are no comparisons because the festool feels like a sturdy well built piece of kit and the pc like a hobbyist tool.......

I would love to keep the festool but can live with the pc ......

The other major thing i found with the pc when it arrived was the festool backing plate is a huge round rubber disc with good distortion for awkward angles and the pc backing plate looks like it has been cut out with scissors from a huge velcro sheet and glued together.....

So its snap-on vs snap-off im afraid....

But you get what you pay for in this world and the choice is there......

Interestingly i dont think the festool has a smaller backing plate available and also struggled to find it on the net even after googleing??

YankeeFan
07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I`ve been looking at 3 machines for the last 6 months with fear of buying the wrong one, and I yet have not been able to make a decision. I`m looking at the Makita BO6040, Bosch 1250 and the Festool 150. I would appreciate it, if anyone has used the Festool on a regular basis what they think of it in terms of power to remove swirls and spider webbing? Does it bog down, do you find you have to go over he same area over and over again like a PC? Plus, which mode do you tend to use most for corrections as it is a DA and sudo-rotary.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Howard

Todd@RUPES
07-02-2007, 12:54 PM
What does more work, the Fetstool or the UDM. Which has more power, OPM, ect?

Sir Waxalot
07-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I`ve never used there polishers, but I did own a Festool cordless drill and loved it. Great fit/finish, typical good German design and construction.

I currently use a Makita 9227 rotary and I`m very pleased with it so far. But the BO6040 dual purpose would have been my choice had it been available when I purchased my 9227

Alfisti
07-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I haven`t tried the Festool brand but have the Makita equivalent...the BO6040.

In forced-rotation mode (you wont use anything else) it kills the PC for correcting ability. Probably 80% rotary equivalency. One pass or two max. There is no bogging down, no slowing down, and good control, although, not as easy as a PC. The forced-rotation forces rotation(!) so you need to hold on a bit tighter...closer to a rotary. However, its totally safe as you`ll never get rotary speeds and no holograms. It a forced-rotation but with a forced eccentric orbit as well.

I believe the Festool would be similar, but maybe a bit lighter. The Mak is a bit heavy.

PC/UDM or quasi-rotary? Mak/Festool quasi-rotary everytime (if you can afford it).

But as has been stated, different class, and different price bracket. You`re comparing a Ferrari to Lexus. Its obvious which is better but you have to pay for the privilege. If you end up with a Lexus, you still have a great outcome.

ZoranC
07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Man I hadn`t even heard of this Festool before. I wish I knew about it before I bought my UDM, even though it costs more. How does the Festool compare to the other two as far as corrections, noise, etc?

There is some mentioning of Festool and it`s "cousins" across detailing boards for those that dig. Totoland Mach was biggest poster. When it comes to noise UDM is bit better than PC. Festool is, again, way ahead in that category too.

When it comes to correction abilities between these three I aborted that test as I realized circumstances are such I wouldn`t be able to provide best answer to that question. However, I can talk about perceptions of power.

UDM does not bog down as easy as PC. I can easily bog down PC with 5" pads. I can bog down UDM too but it takes more to do that by margin that is big enough that bogging down is not in your way.

And bogging down Festool? Fuggedaboutit. That thing keeps running. Yes, you can still bog it down but it takes sooo much it is same as if you can not bog it down because you would never use so much pressure, not even accidentally, during normal course of work.

So, can Festool correct better than UDM? Again, I am not able to provide that answer yet. However, logic says yes. I am not using logic of "Festool has more amps" because one could on the other hand say it has shortr throw. I am using logic "Totoland Mach used to use it daily on number of BMWs, if Festool was not better than PC he would be using PC".

Still, hopefully I will be able one day to provide definite answer on that. In the meantime I will keep posting updates.

ZoranC
07-02-2007, 02:29 PM
If you`ve the money for it, tight, if not than the UDM is an excellent deal.

Correct, and even if one gets Festool I don`t see need for having "PC" too going away. With "PC" you can do carpets, 4" spot pads, all the stuff you can not do with Festool due to design of it`s backing plate mounting. I am keeping the UDM.

ZoranC
07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
There are no comparisons because the festool feels like a sturdy well built piece of kit and the pc like a hobbyist tool...

Definitely. That thing is built to last. Plus it is incredibly ergonomic. It is as if they have a team combined of German engineers, production, and QA with Swedish designers.

The other major thing i found with the pc when it arrived was the festool backing plate is a huge round rubber disc with good distortion for awkward angles and the pc backing plate looks like it has been cut out with scissors from a huge velcro sheet and glued together...

While Festool`s backing plates are undeniably good I dunno where you are getting your PC backing plates from as mine are not that bad ;)

Interestingly i dont think the festool has a smaller backing plate available and also struggled to find it on the net even after googleing??

From all I know it doesn`t exist. I was contemplating should I get RO 125 FEQ but it`s specs are lower so I doubt I would be seeing benefit.

ZoranC
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I`m looking at the Makita BO6040, Bosch 1250 and the Festool 150.

Based on specs Festool is strongest of three.