PDA

View Full Version : Best pad brand to replace old megs pads?

Pages : [1] 2

Marc Hufnagel
07-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Looking to replace some megs pads (yellow polishing and tan finishing) with something new.

I use #83 and Mothers Power polish and either NXT or Synwax.

What is the best brand and pad for use with a diminishing abrasive like the two listed above? I`ve seen a lot about Lake Country. Also what would be a good replacement for my finishing pads?

I have the PC, not a rotary.

thanks!

ben_r_
07-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I am also interested in knowing this. I have only used my Megs Polishing pad twice and during the second soaking to clean in original Dawn and cold water the velcro is already separating from the pad... I am interested in a flexible backing plate and different pads for the PC. Anyone have any suggestions?

BigAl3
07-01-2007, 12:39 PM
lake country pads are great, i use both the 6.5 flat white & orange pads... :up

ben_r_
07-01-2007, 12:50 PM
lake country pads are great, i use both the 6.5 flat white & orange pads... :up

Yes I have been looking at Lake Country, however I have not been able to figure out how their pad stick the to backing plate? It almost looks like its the same setup at the Megs stuff (velcro sticker glued to the back of a pad and then the pad gets stuck to the rigid velcro backing plate). If they are the same style I worry that I will have the same problem of the velcro sticker coming off those too.

BigAl3
07-01-2007, 12:53 PM
the lake country pads attach just like the megs do, they both have velcro backings. i use to use my lake country pads on my megs backing plate, but switched to a lake country backing plate as it`s more durable as are the velcro on the pads. both are good (still use both brands), it`s just personal preference...

ben_r_
07-01-2007, 12:57 PM
the lake country pads attach just like the megs do, they both have velcro backings. i use to use my lake country pads on my megs backing plate, but switched to a lake country backing plate as it`s more durable as are the pads. both are good (still use both brands), it`s just personal preference...

Ah gotcha... Okay well what about the Sonus route? I found out about these from the Autopia detailing guide... Heres the desc I got from it:

Complete polishing systems, like this one from Sonus, offer a backing plate, pads and other accessories in a single kit. In this Sonus DAS (Dual-Action System) kkit, the Velcro backing is recessed into the pad, offering protection from potential backing plate mishaps.

And heres the pic:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/article_images/PC%20Foam%20Pad%20System.jpg

SpoiledMan
07-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I went from Meg`s to LC and couldn`t be happier. I still have a ton of Meg`s pads and they have held up great over the years. I just wanted a wider range and got that with LC.

Marc Hufnagel
07-01-2007, 01:24 PM
I went from Meg`s to LC and couldn`t be happier. I still have a ton of Meg`s pads and they have held up great over the years. I just wanted a wider range and got that with LC.

Could you comment on what the replacement color would be for a megs polishing pad and a finishing pad ? thanks

SpoiledMan
07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
IMO the Meg`s tan is ~ LC white

Meg`s yellow is hard to place as it`s between the white and orange LC

Meg`s maroon seems above the orange but below the yellow LC

imported_Jakerooni
07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
schlegel pads have been around for a loooong time and are pretty much the top dogs in pads and such. These guys are the orginators on most pads out there. Everytime I`ve tried anthing new I always come back to these guys.

BuffTwo (http://www.schlegelcorp.com/BuffTwo.html)

SpoiledMan
07-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Those *look* like they could be produced by Edge. Where`s the rest of the pad range on that site?

BigAl3
07-01-2007, 05:57 PM
lake country white pad = megs yellow polishing pad

lake country orange pad = between the megs burgundy cutting pad and yellow polishing pad

BlackElantraGT
07-01-2007, 06:40 PM
lake country white pad = megs yellow polishing pad

lake country orange pad = between the megs burgundy cutting pad and yellow polishing pad

That`s what I thought too. I don`t see how the Meg`s tan finishing pads are similar in cut to the LC white polishing pad.

I`ve also switched to LC pad. The quality of Meg`s pads varies. I bought older, used pads from a member on here and those have held up really well, even to machine washing. The new Meg`s pads that I bought brand new from a well known Meg`s e-retailer on the other hand have all been junk.

For the OP, since you don`t seem to like or trust the velcro backing on the pads, you might want to consider the Edge pad system that uses an adapter instead. I have no experience with these pads, but a lot of people here swear by it. No backing plate, velcro glue, pad centering to worry about.

Marc Hufnagel
07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
That`s what I thought too. I don`t see how the Meg`s tan finishing pads are similar in cut to the LC white polishing pad.

I`ve also switched to LC pad. The quality of Meg`s pads varies. I bought older, used pads from a member on here and those have held up really well, even to machine washing. The new Meg`s pads that I bought brand new from a well known Meg`s e-retailer on the other hand have all been junk.

For the OP, since you don`t seem to like or trust the velcro backing on the pads, you might want to consider the Edge pad system that uses an adapter instead. I have no experience with these pads, but a lot of people here swear by it. No backing plate, velcro glue, pad centering to worry about.

that was the guy below me, ben_r I think it was...

BlackElantraGT
07-01-2007, 06:57 PM
that was the guy below me, ben_r I think it was...

ah, ok. Sorry, I should have paid closer attention to the names.

So far I haven`t had any problems with the flat LC CCS pads. One thing I sorta like better about the Meg`s pad was that they are easier to center if you`re going rotary, but since you`re using a PC it`s not as important to have it completely centered.