PDA

View Full Version : What if clay bars not working?

bratan
06-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I got black bird crap spots/dots on my 2 year old MX-5 which won`t wash away. I was sure that clay bars will take care of those after reading guides here... So I got a "Mother" clay bar kit, figured out how to use it and got totally disappointed. Trouble spots are still there :( I can scrape them with my fingernails (which is still pretty hard), but is there any other way to get rid of those? Should I polish them with PC 7424? Please help!

Setec Astronomy
06-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Are you saying you can scrape off the spots with your fingernail? You need to use a progressive process, starting with a gentle wash, then using perhaps some more aggressive washing on spots that don`t come off with the gentle wash, then move to clay, and then you might have to polish to remove some stains. There is also a place for bug and tar remover after washing if the particular spots you have are dissolvable that way.

bratan
06-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah I can rub those dirt spots all day. It could be tar or bug, I`m not sure, I thought they were bird dropping. This spots are basically foreign particles on top of the the clear coat, they rough to the touch, and can be removed if enough energy is applied to them. I was just looking for some easier way that doesn`t take me whole day :) Clay bars were suppose to do that, but they just glide over those places :( Maybe I could use some kind of plastic scraper or something. I`m afraid that polishing will only rub these dirt deeper into the paint...

Sorry I`m really new to all this

kleraudio
06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I would definitely try some Stoners Tarminator, that stuff works wonders!

Jim

the other pc
07-01-2007, 12:53 AM
If it’s bird poop the clay really should take care of it. Try using more pressure and making more passes.

PC.

bratan
07-01-2007, 09:30 PM
I would definitely try some Stoners Tarminator, that stuff works wonders!

Jim

Thanks! I will try that!

velobard
07-02-2007, 07:02 AM
I ran across this recently on a car we just bought for my wife. There`s a scattered cluster of dots on the roof and after a *thorough* claying (Claymagic blue) at least 10% of them refused to budge. I really worked the clay long and hard on that area. It seems like an odd area for tar, but who knows. I`ll come back to it later and attack it again.

Accumulator
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree with the previous suggestions: solvents and/or more aggressive clay. Then some LSP that will better resist penetration by such stuff. Removing [stuff] from LSP is pretty easy, but once it penetrates into the paint you get the sort of hassles we`re now discussing.

bratan
07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry what is "LSP"?

mbkintner
07-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Last Step Product. (i.e. a wax or sealant)

Mike

jefmcc
07-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Try soaking the spots in simple green.

bratan
07-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Ok, what is simple green? :)