PDA

View Full Version : Waxing over new paint

bandit
06-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Had the bottom half of my wife`s car repaired and repainted because of rust. It`s been about five weeks now. How long to wait till I can put a coat or two of Collinite on the surface. Thanks

xtremekustomz
06-30-2007, 06:46 PM
do a search. This comes up at least once a week.

J.J.
06-30-2007, 06:54 PM
About 3 months.

jfelbab
06-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Ask your repair shop. Depending on the paint and curing process you could wax immediately or need to wait up to 90 days. Don`t guess.

velobard
06-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Ask your repair shop. Depending on the paint and curing process you could wax immediately or need to wait up to 90 days. Don`t guess.

I respectfully disagree about trusting the shops on this one. I spoke to a number of shops last year during my string of "luck" and an astonishing number just don`t seem to have a clue about what`s appropriate. Some shops even try to claim their heat booth fully cures a car, which is rubbish, it just kick starts it a little. Drying and curing are different things and it takes months to fully harden and cure. Use the 90 day rule.

Dang we really, really need a sticky on this topic that points to MirrorFinishMan`s post with his info from the paint manufacturers.

Bunky
07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I respectfully disagree about trusting the shops on this one. I spoke to a number of shops last year during my string of "luck" and an astonishing number just don`t seem to have a clue about what`s appropriate. Some shops even try to claim their heat booth fully cures a car, which is rubbish, it just kick starts it a little. Drying and curing are different things and it takes months to fully harden and cure. Use the 90 day rule.

Dang we really, really need a sticky on this topic that points to MirrorFinishMan`s post with his info from the paint manufacturers.

I picked up my truck from the body shop (second time to clean it up better) and the Sherwin Williams paint rep just happened to be there. One body shop guy had said 30 days min but the SW guy said 90 days. He said I should put a glaze over it until then.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-10-2007, 06:56 PM
90 days is a safe number...

I agree with above that some shops don`t know jack.. I got everything from "you can detail it right now" to "30 days" to "90 days".....

I ended up having the dealer do the repair (insurance) and they recomended 90 days...

David Fermani
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
When I talked to a 3M rep he told me it`s ok to wax any time you want. I personally wouldn`t but it`s just what he said.

The big question is:

DOES ANYONE HAVE PROOF/EVIDENCE THAT WAXING PREMATURLY WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS??

velobard
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, we have had people come here moaning how their paint swirled if they looked at it funny and later it comes out that they waxed right away over fresh paint.

My personal thought, and I`m not claiming to be qualified in this stuff at all, is that some sealants are probably alright at least within a fairly short time, but that "heavy" carnuaba`s will pretty much shut down any outgassing.

the other pc
07-11-2007, 11:02 AM
...I ended up having the dealer do the repair (insurance) and they recomended 90 days...Dealer paint guys don’t necessarily read the instructions any more than independent body shop guys.

FWIW DuPont says 120 days for theirs.

PC.

ttdriver
07-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I find this thread a little bizzare. If you stop by any bodyshop here in the UK the last thing they normally do is polish the new finish and apply either a wax or glaze.

Is it different in the states?

David Fermani
07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I find this thread a little bizzare. If you stop by any bodyshop here in the UK the last thing they normally do is polish the new finish and apply either a wax or glaze.

Is it different in the states?

I bet they`re wet sanding and compounding them though. I`d put a 5 layers of wax on before wet sanding/buffing a freshly painted finish.

Joshua312
07-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I bet they`re wet sanding and compounding them though. I`d put a 5 layers of wax on before wet sanding/buffing a freshly painted finish.

What good would putting 5 layers of wax on the finish before buffing do? I see no point..

David Fermani
07-11-2007, 08:18 PM
What good would putting 5 layers of wax on the finish before buffing do? I see no point..

What I meant is that I`d feel more comfortable waxing/sealing a fresh paint job instead of sanding/buffing it.

Joshua312
07-11-2007, 08:34 PM
What I meant is that I`d feel more comfortable waxing/sealing a fresh paint job instead of sanding/buffing it.

Ahh I see, thank you for clarifying David