PDA

View Full Version : Is it essential to wash before claying?

imported_never gone
06-30-2007, 03:21 AM
My car is pretty spotless as I wipe it down with Z-6 every night and usually wash it once a week. I`m going to clay the car tomorrow and I was hoping I didn`t have to wash it first since it`s already really clean. Thanks.

imported_artikxscout
06-30-2007, 03:38 AM
if you QD it every night, then it should be fine.

dshreter
06-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Just use your best judgement. If it looks clean and feels clean, you probably don`t need to wash it. If you touch the paint and it feels kind of dusty, then you should probably wash. If you get the sense that its dirty at all, using the clay won`t be very pleasant, and it`ll grab the paint more, get the clay very dirty, or worse. You only want to use the clay to remove what washing can`t remove.

hybridhauler
06-30-2007, 05:00 AM
It may not need washing but it`s cheap insurance

ptaylor_9849
06-30-2007, 08:17 AM
If your car is super clean like it sounds, you probably don`t have to wash. HOWEVER, the one time I tried claying without washing, the clay got so dirty that I only got that one use from it. Sixteen dollar lesson learned.

Patrick

imported_DetailDan
06-30-2007, 09:12 AM
ALWAYS wash before you clay. If you dont youll create some serious swirls. Im surprised you are even considering it.

imported_memnuts
06-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Clay as you wash. Wash panel, rinse, clay using wash solution or claying solution, rinse, inspect and move to next panel repeating this process until vehicle is completed.

Do not submerge clay in the wash bucket for an obvious reason (clay will become mushy).

As stated earlier. Use your best judgment, erroring on the side of being dirty when it may not be and go from there. Most vehicles could use a wash even a vehicle that is QD`d after every use.

Brian_Brice
06-30-2007, 09:28 AM
ALWAYS wash before you clay. If you dont youll create some serious swirls. Im surprised you are even considering it.

I doubt he will be claying in a circular motion. straight line marring maybe, swirl marks no:nana:

imported_never gone
06-30-2007, 11:35 AM

If you saw the way I keep my car you`d understand 100% why I`d be considering it. Lirterally it`s sprayed down EVERY night with QD and MF towels.

Mark77
06-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I would wash it. A good wash with a hose cleans places you don`t reach with just a QD or hoseless wash. And it`s quite easy to clay when it`s wet+ using a QD and then dry. That is what I do.

imported_DetailDan
06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I doubt he will be claying in a circular motion. straight line marring maybe, swirl marks no:nana:

Ok, you got me. But you get my point.

orngez
06-30-2007, 05:21 PM
always wash first...saves your clay and prevents scratches and swirls