PDA

View Full Version : removing old vinyl

bulls23337
06-30-2007, 02:12 AM
i have some vinyl on my hood that i`d like to get off by tomorrow if possible. its pretty baked on there and its degraded pretty badly. it doesnt stay together when i try to peel it off. it breaks off into little pieces. its such a PIA!

what can i do to get it off? i dont want to have to razor the whole hood, which i already started btw. is there any chemical out there that will dissolve the vinyl? ive tried orange blast, adhesive remover, heating it and rubbing, and still no progress.

has anyone heard of vinyl-off 10-4? i`m hoping this would be my answer.

Vinyl-Off 10-4 Liquid Vinyl Remover (http://www.corbingraphics.com/accessoriesstrippersliquid.htm)

MikeN
06-30-2007, 11:16 PM
They also make a razor that is plastic... works well, and wont damage the paint. Also, you can look for a vinyl "eraser". Attaches to a drill, etc.

bulls23337
07-05-2007, 03:56 PM
thanks, where can i get that plastic razor locally or the vinyl eraser?

BlueLibby04
07-05-2007, 04:19 PM
AutoDetailingSolutions has the plastic razors. I ordered a 10pack for $1 a few days ago.. Good price I believe.. :)

itb76
07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Last summer I removed all the 10 year old vinyl graphics off my race car. The most helpful tool I found was a heat gun. Heat small sections until the metal underneath is quite warm, them peel. After a little practice you will get the hang of it. If any glue remains use lacquer thinner sparingly to remove it.

I don`t believe there is a chemical that will remove the vinyl itself. 3M has a decal remover that may work, but for larger pieces you will want to use the heat gun.

bulls23337
07-09-2007, 03:49 AM
^i got a heat gun. was your vinyl tattered or looked abused? mine was from heat and laziness in washing the car at times. :P