PDA

View Full Version : how big of a generator will i need???

sganapoler
06-30-2007, 01:36 AM
im just putting together a mobile detailing service in the north san francisco bay area, and i am picking up the nessicary hardware to get it off the ground. i have a nice little two barrel compressor, a small hand-held rotary buffer, and i will pick up a steam vacum cleaner. my question is: how large of a generator will i need to run these items. keep in mind i wont be running all of these at once, but i will need to support at least a couple of these items with power at a time. what kind of wattage will i need, and what brands would be recommended over others???

thanks for the feed back.

s

shadybreal
06-30-2007, 05:49 AM
Very big! Compressor take a huge amount of power to start up and re-pump the tanks. I have a similar compressor and it wouldn`t do anything w/ 2500 watt honda. The only compressor I could power was a .5 hp compressor. I think you need at least 4500 for 1 hp.

JCraven
06-30-2007, 06:20 AM
for a air compressor

multiple Amps * HP (14a * 2.5hp=35 starting amps)

amps * volts=watts

120v * 35amps=4200w generator:buffing:

so multiple amps X volts=watts for everything you need to power and add total watts. then find generator that is greater than your requirement. say you need a 5000w, get a 5500w generator.