PDA

View Full Version : Roadkill carwash mitt

Pages : [1] 2

Guy
06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
The other day I thought something died in my garage! After a half hour of searching I found that it was my sheepskin wash mitt from Wally World!

After every use I rinse it thouroughly and hang it outside to dry. Also I run it through the washer when I get a load of towels.

Neither of those helped the smell, so I tried a vinegar rinse which helped some. But the next time I washed it smelled like I was using a dead squirrel. Anybody have this happen to them, anyone know how to fix this. I`m ready to toss it, the other one I have doesn`t have this issue.

JasonD
06-28-2007, 01:39 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I honestly didn`t know what to expect!! LMAO!!

This happens a lot actually. It`s what happens when the mitt isn`t allowed to dry fast enough and mildew builds up in the mitt. You are correct, it is very nasty, and very difficult to get out. Since you have tried most everything, the only thing left to do is soak it in some hot water with a little bleach in it, but I will tell you that bleaching the mitt will degrade it a bit.

From now on, hang it up to dry and be sure it is allowed to completely dry. If even a tiny bit of moisture is trapped in the mitt, it will happen all over again.

kapinnn
06-28-2007, 02:28 PM
I got the same smell in my garage, but it`s my roommate`s hockey gear.

mikelea4ever
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
^^^ewwlll gross!!!!! :) I`ve read a lot of comment/concern using a sheepskin mitt and im not really surprise if that happens.

BlueLibby04
06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Mine never has smelled good, but thats if I put it up to my face.. I usually sit it out and let it dry then put it in a bag that I leave open.

Im sure if you wash your car more than once a week the skin could start to rot.. I never put my hand in mine but thats just nasty..

ADHD
06-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Ive found not letting them dry at all works the best. Once im done with a wash i rinse out the bucket and put the gg back in the bottom and fill the bucket back up 1/2 full and throw the wash mit back in it and just leave it in the water.. I also wash a car or a truck every other day this works out great for me and NO SMELL..

The only disadvantage ive found to this method is the expensive mits from autogeek fall apart within 2/3 weeks of using them. Ive then switched to the Eurow mitts and Ive got one going on over 6 weeks good as NEW, NO SMELL.

todd@bsaw
06-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Ive found not letting them dry at all works the best. Once im done with a wash i rinse out the bucket and put the gg back in the bottom and fill the bucket back up 1/2 full and throw the wash mit back in it and just leave it in the water.. I also wash a car or a truck every other day this works out great for me and NO SMELL..

The only disadvantage ive found to this method is the expensive mits from autogeek fall apart within 2/3 weeks of using them. Ive then switched to the Eurow mitts and Ive got one going on over 6 weeks good as NEW, NO SMELL.

I practically do the same thing. Although my mitts are always in use washing about a half a dozen cars a day. My mits go from car wash mitts to wheel and fender mitts within a month. :hairpull

Black240SX
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
...it smelled like I was using a dead squirrel.

:spit:

My mitts get machine washed and dried after each use. I suppose that is a bit hard on them, but I still get reasonable life out of them. Machine washing gets them really clean, which is essential, and machine drying prevents mold issues.

BlueLibby04
06-29-2007, 03:58 PM
I guess I dont wash as much(on average, once a week), but Ive had my euro mitt for around 3 months now and its still like new. I let it dry out after each use and Ive never had a problem with it falling apart..

Balthazarr
06-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Used my sheepskin dual purpose mitt once so far.

Still smells new and sweet from shampoo.

Guy
06-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Kinda weird, I have two of the same mitt, one smells and the other has no issues. I guess they are cheap enough to replace. Thanks for all the replies!

Mark77
06-30-2007, 02:12 AM
I always hang them on one side of the opening, that way it dries quicker because it hangs open.

BigAl3
06-30-2007, 03:14 AM
after i get done with my washmitt (after it`s soaked in a clean bucket of water), i spray it one last good time with the hose and then squeeze (not wring) all the water out, and then swing out the remains as much as possible. then i use a pant hanger with the clips and hang it on one side of the cuff with it open. never had a problem...

CoryB
07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I use the handle of my floor jack as a drying pole for my wash mitt. The mitt slips on there easily and stays high and clean until it`s dry. After drying I`ll hang it by the hangloop with the other mitts to keep it safe.

itb76
07-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I always hang them on one side of the opening, that way it dries quicker because it hangs open.

That`s kind of what I do; hang it over the edge of the bucket and it dries stink free.