PDA

View Full Version : Deeeep Engine Cleaning

rockford33
06-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Well, I am currently repairing/upgrading/cleaning my engine bay in my 91 Spirit R/T and as I take off more items, the more gunk I see below deep down in the engine. With the intake manifold off the car and the throttle body out, it is real easy to see down into the engine bay. I sprayed some Gunk Engine Cleaner in there last night and rinsed it off with a light spray of water from my pump sprayer, then followed that up on the tough spots with some Brakleen. Some areas are just tough to get to, especially when the Brakleen only sprays in the vertical position. I do have a Shark steam cleaner, would it be safe to stick the nozzle down in the bay and blast off any remaining gunk? Not near any wires or meltable pieces, but the front of the engine block, top of the tranny, etc. There is just crap everywhere, in the creases of brackets, etc. I figure the steam cleaner wuold be better for cleaning as well as the heated water will evaporate better/quicker. Any thoughts? Plus, the car is marooned in the garage right now, so I am trying to make as little mess on the floor as possible.

Thanks,
Neil

rockford33
06-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Anyone?

jaybs02
06-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Neil,
If the car is trapped in the garage would could first put down some cardboard or "SpeedyDri" (cat litter also works well) that should cut down on some of the mess.

When I was doing my old 79` Bronco I took off as much as possible and Gunked hosed it 3 times, after that I used it think it was PurplePower and a few toothbrushes and a lot of rags :lol
Followed by another gunking and rinsing
I remember purple power being real strong so keep that in mind also check to see if it says anything about keeping away from aluminum (If you have any)

I`m sure that you will be fine using the steamer, just be mega carefull around the sensative electrical components (remove them if you can)

HTH
Good Luck,
"J"

rockford33
06-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the reply Jay, I have already used Gunk on the engine and it did a pretty good time. Some of the tougher spots I used a little Brakleen (like on top of the tranny). I also have Purple Power, but there are a lot of various aluminum parts around the engine, so I am not going to use it just in case. I might hit a couple of spots with the steam cleaner, but I think I have got it as clean as I can (at least the visible areas). The top part of the engine will be sparkling, it`s all of the little deep down areas that might not be as pretty.

jaybs02
06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
If you can jack up the car and pull the wheels you might be able to get to somemore through the wheel wells.

Just remember to use proper jacking safety guidelines.(Chock wheels, use jack stands, set emergency brackes and so on). Also take care that if you are working under the car that things dont drip into your face.

Good luck
"J"