PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

Pages : [1] 2

kleraudio
06-27-2007, 06:57 PM
So what do you guys that do this full time do for health insurance?? I really dont want to keep another job for 25 hours a week just for insurance like I am doing now.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Old Pirate
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Try to contact Blue cross / Blue shield or a insurance agent. :tumblewee SIP on order!

kleraudio
06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Ive been looking at Humana One, but just wanted to see what everyone else is using/has used.

Jim

JDK
06-29-2007, 10:14 PM
I`m an insurance agent and this is always a tough call because of the high cost of health insurance. I always try and get my clients to consider a higher deductable, $1500 and up, to help keep the monthly cost down. If you are young and healthy, you may even want to consider $2500 - $5000. You will, in most cases, be better off saving the difference in a separate bank account the difference between the lower and higher deductable and "self insure" yourself.

Just remember, the insurance companies know that most of the time, people NEVER meet their deductable so the extra premiums go into their pockets, why not put it in yours??

You are better off checking with several companies because even with "apples and apples", somebody will be less. Your home and auto agent should be able to help you choose a program that is best for your needs.

Make sure you check the PPO (preferred provider network) and see if your family doc, local hospital, (if married, your wife`s OB-GYN) etc is listed. Cheaper rates won`t help if you are paying more out-of-pocket.

Opt out of dental and vision, they rarely, if ever, are worth the cost.

Email me direct if you need any more help.

Superior Shine
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
One or two details pay for my insurance. If you look at it that way it isn`t so bad.

kleraudio
06-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Superior, that is true, what insurance providers and plans are you guys using?

Jim

BlueZero
06-29-2007, 11:15 PM
I use Blue Cross / Blue Sheild. Not sure on the plan. It`s about $100 a month for me. Good coverage too.

kleraudio
06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks bluezero I will look into that.

Jim

kvfalcon
06-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Marry a rich girl...or at least one with benefits!

:chuckle:

Superior Shine
06-30-2007, 04:47 PM
I haver Kiaser . I pay $510 for a family of three.

MikeN
06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I was with BC/BS, but rates went to $800+ for my family coverage 1.5 years ago, so I switched. Even now I pay ~$750/mth with high deducts, etc. Sucks :|

joshtpa
07-19-2007, 12:14 PM
All of you guys must keep in mind that rates are going to be different depending on where you live.

BobD
07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Marry a rich girl...or at least one with benefits!

:chuckle:

Or move to Canada! LOL

JohnLINY
07-20-2007, 01:41 AM
I`m an insurance agent and this is always a tough call because of the high cost of health insurance. I always try and get my clients to consider a higher deductable, $1500 and up, to help keep the monthly cost down. If you are young and healthy, you may even want to consider $2500 - $5000. You will, in most cases, be better off saving the difference in a separate bank account the difference between the lower and higher deductable and "self insure" yourself.

Just remember, the insurance companies know that most of the time, people NEVER meet their deductable so the extra premiums go into their pockets, why not put it in yours??

You are better off checking with several companies because even with "apples and apples", somebody will be less. Your home and auto agent should be able to help you choose a program that is best for your needs.

Make sure you check the PPO (preferred provider network) and see if your family doc, local hospital, (if married, your wife`s OB-GYN) etc is listed. Cheaper rates won`t help if you are paying more out-of-pocket.

Opt out of dental and vision, they rarely, if ever, are worth the cost.

Email me direct if you need any more help.

JDK is on the money depending on your family and health situation. There are several options depending on your needs and budget. Everything from an HMO to basic hospitalization, sometimes called catastrophic coverage. Joshtpa is also right in that your cost is going to vary by your location. You may want to also check into if your state FL has any type of state sponsored plan for small businesses. NY State has a couple of State sponsored plans. Check out an independent insurance agent and get quotes from multiple companies or do a Google search on FL health insurance quotes. You will get tons of hits from companies like ehealthinsurance etc.

If you take a high deductible type plan make sure you set aside some funds in a money market fund to cover the deductible. I may take time to build up the reserves but once you are done it`s your money in the bank.

Here are a couple of websites that may help you out:

FL Dept of Financial Services (https://apps.fldfs.com/sercs/)

Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (http://www.fdhc.state.fl.us/)

joshtpa
07-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Keep in mind, to get something for small business, you will have to Incorporate.