PDA

View Full Version : newbie here

imported_lennster
06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Newbie here with a couple questions.

I just got a new 07 Toyota Tundra 2007 double cab.... Pyrite with 20"Chrome.

Been lurking and reading, there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Kinda overwhelmed as to what products to use.Being a new truck what steps

should I employ to keep this thing looking sharp, and what products would ya`ll

recommend. Thanks

kkreit01
06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
You must not have read enough:) What shape is the paint in? When was the build date? I bought a new car 1 month ago. It really could have used a clay job the day I brought it home. If your paint is near perfect, just hit it with some DG 105. You can use DG AW as a topper every month. If your paint is dirty, hit it with some OTC Clay, and then DG 101 + DG105. I picked all "over-the-counter" products -- as most newbies aren`t ready to mail order yet...

For a beauty wax, try P21S, S100, or Megs #26.

kapinnn
06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Just a little help.. DG = Duragloss and they can be bought locally at any CarQuest

Bunky
06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
As a newbie myself, it was difficult to digest everything here. The search function here is basic so finding good summaries is difficult.

The biggest thing I did was that I washed the car on a regular basis using good washing techniques (started using a lamb`s wool mitt, drying correctly) and a decent car wash (I use Duragloss 901). You can start by reading the detail guide here.

For a newbie, proper technique will be a bigger variable to getting good results over the specific wax you end up chosing so that is easy to apply. I went with Mothers Reflections topped with pure carnuaba just to be different but I plan to try others (like Duragloss). If you do it right, you will probably have a vehicle that looks better than most.

New cars look nice. The trick is keeping it nice by using the good wash techniques and protecting the paint (wax, etc). The difference shows up in a few years....

imported_lennster
06-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry guys...should have been more specific.

Was a demo with 2300 miles. probly wasn,t in daelwer inventory long

as inspection sticker was dated 4/08 so probly was couple months old

Paint appears to be in good shape. I haven`t examined it real close though.

In the past I`ve used Zymol car wash. and wax.

ZeroDfx
06-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Based on your stats. I`d do a wash, followed by a light claying to clean the surface; another quick wash, then apply your Zymol and it should look great!!!

Then as a previous member said, the secret will be to keeping it looking great through proper care.

Good luck.

imported_lennster
06-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the help my friends...I looked at my hood at lunch today

and did notice some minor swirling. What can i use to remove them ?

What do ya`ll recommend????

ProStreetCamaro
06-27-2007, 08:41 PM

I would say if they are real minor you could get away with optimum poli-seal.

Here is what I would do if it were me.

Wash

Clay

Wash

poli-seal

Opti-seal and you should be golden with this simple combo.

imported_Calogero
06-27-2007, 09:34 PM

You have to ask yourself a few questions.

What types of results do you want

Show car shine?

Daily driver?

Is it stored in a garage?

Are you doing this by hand or machine?

How much time are you willing to invest?

How much money?

Well, first I`d give it a really good wash using the two bucket system. This is where it helps to stop and protect from swirls instead of instilling them even further.

After you`ve washed, clay the entire car section at a time to ensure its as smooth as glass. To check, put your hand in a plastic baggie (ziploc) and run your finger tips along the paint and see if it feels smooth. If so, you`re doing the job correct. If not you may need a few more passes of the clay.

After clay, give the car a good rinse and then dry it done using either a Water Magnet or Microfibre Towel.

From here, I`d use a good paint cleaner. Remember, least aggressive product first. A good product you can try is Meguiars M80. Do a test spot on the hood to see if this gets the results you want.

Tape off a 12 x 12 section and use M80 on the section. Remove it and inspect in good light or sunlight. If you`re happy with those results, then you`ll be able to produce those results on the entire car.

Remember, with M80, you do not need to let it dry. Its a apply and then take off type of product right away. Work a panel at a time.

Once you`ve completed this, since M80 contains so many polishing oils you won`t really need to use a pure polish. You can if you wish and or have time, but not totally needed.

If you want, following your paint cleaner you will go straight to wax, or polish and then wax.

Hope that helps.

Wash

Clay

Paint CLeaner

Paint Polish

Wax

imported_lennster
06-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas.

Truffle it`s a daily driver, and my only vehicle,its parked under

a carpot at home, but in the elements at workaand i probly do it all

by hand as i have no good buffer. Just an old Rockwell i got from my dad

years ago. And man the choice of products to choose from is

mind boggling.I don`t mind spending a little money, but some of this stuff

is outa sight. Thanks

Accumulator
06-28-2007, 12:53 PM
lennster- Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, this can be overwhelming and everybody has an opinion... here`s mine:

Given the specifics of your situation, IMO the choice is clear: 1Z polish topped with Collinite wax. 1Z is the *only* polish I`d ever recommend by hand. It`s very user-friendly and it`s also effective. Friends of mine who couldn`t care less about detailing keep their vehicles looking very nice with this approach and it works great for people who *do* care too (myself included; I use this on my Blazer and it looks great with little effort).

Which of their polishes to get is hard to say without seeing your vehicle, but I`d say either Paint Polish or the less aggressive (as in, very very mild) Metallic Polish. Then apply some Collinite wax (you won`t believe the beading and durability).

The 1Z leaves some wax behind, so if you`re tired after all the polishing you could just wait until after the next wash to apply the wax.

I get mine here: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html)

imported_lennster
06-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Aight.... made s trip to the local auto zone this is what i got.

Let me know ya`lls opinion.

Zymol auto wash.Zymol cleaner wax,Megs clay kit Megs nxt. generation tech wax

Mothers lambswool wash mit,mothers drying towel. megs hot rims wheel cleaner

suggestions and or comments welcom

Accumulator
06-28-2007, 06:55 PM
lennster- OK...wash, clay, cleaner-wax, NXT in that order.