PDA

View Full Version : One-Step with Rotary?`

Pages : [1] 2

JustinL
06-27-2007, 08:53 AM
I keep reading how so many people have an issue finishing up with a rotary, and that they have to take out there PC to fix all their mistakes from the rotary.

My question is, with experience, can one use a One-Step product on a decent finish and let it be. (without having to use a PC to correct)

I ask this because I just ordered the Makita, and Hi-Temps all in one polish, and im wondering if I will be able the use it with the Rotary on some cars I detail. -Again without finishing up with the PC or more products. -

Any suggestions, comments?

imported_DetailDan
06-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Ive heard that Optimum finishes great.

BobD
06-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Yes, with experience you can without problems. I use Four Star 4-40 ALL of the time with the rotary and a black LCM pad without troubles.

SpoiledMan
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
I`ll have to give Optimum Polish another shot at finishing with the rotary. I had no success with it in my last attempts. It`s possible that it was that the pad wasn`t fine enough but FPII had no problem finishing with the same pad.

David Fermani
06-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I keep reading how so many people have an issue finishing up with a rotary, and that they have to take out there PC to fix all their mistakes from the rotary.

My question is, with experience, can one use a One-Step product on a decent finish and let it be. (without having to use a PC to correct)

I`m all for finishing with a rotary, especially with a 1 step product. I personally think it`s a convenience issue depending on the body lines of the car you`re working on. Sometimes it easier and faster to buzz the LSP on with a PC instead of a rotary. I never rely on using a PC to fully correct what a rotary created. That`s like working backwards to me.

Junebug
06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I used OP with an Edge blue pad on my Makita with no problems, I found it worked better if you use enough to get the pad really "lubed" to start with. After that it`s just a few dabs to keep going. I did find that PoliSeal got gummy with the blue pad and had to cleaned after each panel ( could be me) .

orngez
06-27-2007, 12:44 PM
when learning to to finishing polish with a rotary...it helps to load up a little extra on the pad...not necessary but most polishes benefit from the extra little bit of lubricity from the extra polish...i`m not talking about adding like 2-3 ounces on the pad..just an extra dot or two of polish helps out until you get better at finishing with the rotary....most one step polishes...ie CG Lasebuff, ssr2.5, hi-temp, etc, tend to finish well on a rotary as long as you use a polishing or finishing pad...a cutting pad will just haze and induce a lot of micromarring and holograms...

wannafbody
06-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Using a fine finishing polish like FP2 and a soft pad and good technique should provide nearly perfect results.

imported_Puckman
06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I`ve done several 1 step polishes with my Hitachi and either Zaino PC or Menz 106FF/RMG and a white, black or blue LC pad. I ALWAYS pull it out and into the sun just to make sure though before applying the LSP.

kleraudio
06-27-2007, 07:03 PM
106/rmg, sounds interesting Paul, what ratio do you use?

Jim

imported_Puckman
06-27-2007, 07:16 PM
About 70/30, maybe 60/40. That`s 106ff/RMG. I`ve found the 106FF to be stunning by itself for correction but adding the RMG results in a beautiful LSP ready finish! I only do these 1 steps for paint that is really nice to begin with. One of those jobs you finish washing and say "it doesn`t need much more".

Nica
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I used OP with an Edge blue pad on my Makita with no problems, I found it worked better if you use enough to get the pad really "lubed" to start with. After that it`s just a few dabs to keep going. I did find that PoliSeal got gummy with the blue pad and had to cleaned after each panel ( could be me) .

I agree with you my friend, I too use Poli-Seal and I find it to get the pads really full of prudct. It finishes the vehicle really well and elaves a really nice glosy loock...well it did on a silver color vehicle. I just wished it didn`t gum up the pads so much.

With regards to this topic, my favorite combo is my Rotary, Menzerna Orange foam pad and 106FF. Always finishes nice for me and removes lots of swirls/scratches. Like I said this is my favorite combo and seems to be working for me.

Junebug
06-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Nica, ever try PoliSeal with a white LC pad on a PC? I did once and it worked nicely, but I`m trying to get better with my rotary, maybe PoliSeal just works better with a PC. OP sure works better on the rotary!

Nica
06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
JuneBug - Can`t say I have ever tried Poli-Seal with white LC pad on a PC, unfortunetly a co-worker purchased the PC from me so can`t give it a try...maybe I should lower the rpm on my rotary, perhaps that will help. I`ll have to keep experimenting with it, good product though and I`ll keep using it.

Thanks for the tip though, oh and I totally agree with you about Optimum and a rotary.

Envious Eric
06-28-2007, 09:58 PM
PS on a orange pad cleaned up the heavy swirling on a ford250 I did today about 50 %...I did try out some HTEC on a LC foam wool pad via pc and then PS and it took out about 80%, but the wool and PC DONT go together...

I tend to use more PS than most though, and it seems to remove/cover up better...leaves a super slick finish too