PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Suggestions for Apt Dweller

doni49
06-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Hello all! I live in a apartment and my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee has to sit outside pretty much 24/7. I have no access to a hose to use for washing purposes and have to use the commercial car washes.

I`m wondering what the experts out there can suggest for keeping the wheels clean and shined.

I`m also looking for suggestions for keeping the interior cleaned. Are there any decent shampooers available that aren`t 1) TOO expensive 2) TOO large to store and/or get in & out of my apt without too much trouble?

Lastly what can you suggest for keeping all the litlte crevices clean?

I do a decent job on the exterior (with the exception of the wheels--that`s been my main problem since the day I bought it) but I have a nearly impossible time with all the little crevices inside.

Thanks.

Bigpoppa3346
06-25-2007, 08:06 PM
For washing without using a hose, you should consider ONR(Optimum`s No Rinse Wash and Shine), and not use the car wash. For wheels, give them a good cleaning, then follow up with a paint cleaner like Klasse AIO, Clearkote Vanilla Moose, etc.

doni49
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Wash without needing to rinse? You`ve got my attention!

What about the wheels? I`ve read that I should use a cleaner and then hose them down immediately (that`s why I mentioned not having a hose).

the other pc
06-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Wash without needing to rinse? ...No-rinse washes are great and have been discussed a lot around here. Searches for words like ONR ,Optimum No-Rinse, QEW (ProtectAll’s Quick and Easy Wash) should turn up good threads.

...What about the wheels? I`ve read that I should use a cleaner and then hose them down immediately (that`s why I mentioned not having a hose).That’s when using an aggressive wheel cleaner that can stain wheels when left on too long. If you wash frequently, just using car wash soap can be enough.

PC.

doni49
06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Well I just had `er professionally detailed inside and had him do the wheels for me.

And they do look beautiful! I`ll make sure to keep on them. Can I do the ONR on the wheels too? If so, I can certainly see me doing this weekly.

You guys have been a great help so far. Any thoughts on the issues for the interior?

zingyginger
06-25-2007, 09:10 PM
check out this 2 threads:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/88248-how-clean-wheels-without-hose.html

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/85532-since-others-posting-how-i-wash-cars-threads-here-mine.html?highlight=onr

i`ve used a black and decker cordless vac alone if it`s just dusty. it`s powerful enough that a crevice tool that gets stuff out from all the cracks and crevices:

Amazon.com: Black & Decker CHV1500 15.6-Volt HEPA Cyclonic DustBuster: Kitchen & Housewares (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006VWS0S/ref=pd_luc_mri/104-5557802-8001511?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

it`s also available from bed bath and beyond for $39.99 (use one of those mailer coupons for 20% off to bring it down to $32).

i`ve also used it after spritzing carpet and upholstery with a 1:8 mixture of woolite and water; i vacuum once the the carpet`s dry.