PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help!!!!

mikelea4ever
06-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Bought a bottle of touch-up paint at my local car dealer to fix some scratch and rock chips. Process of doing it:

-wash and dry the car

-applied 1 layer of touch-up paint

-next day, applied another layer of touch-up paint.

-sanding???

-apply clear coat??

Question:

Until when should I stop layering a touch-up paint and how should I know when to stop? Next, after I finished layering, Im thinking to smooth out the layered paint. What sandpaper do you pros use to make paint smoother??? What are your process in sanding paint? Any tricks on that? Lastly, I would also like to apply a clear coat after I do sanding? Is there a specific clear coat you would suggest. Thanks for any advice:confused:

JasonD
06-25-2007, 02:08 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80224-paint-clinic.html

NickelPlated.45
06-25-2007, 02:25 PM
The higher the paint blob is the more sanding you have to do. My problem is i always make the blob too big. I use meg`s unigrit sandpaper. I never use the clear. I hate touch up paint and these types of repairs because for me it`s hard to achieve that level of perfection i want. If i can`t polish it out then i guess i can live with it. Good luck buddy.

mikelea4ever
06-25-2007, 03:18 PM
thank u for a quick response. I never thought of using a tooth pick to fill up those chips. It also kind of suck to use those paint brush that comes with the paint because my hands shook. :) I tried the best of my ability to fill the chips though.