PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Wax Cleaners

Pages : [1] 2

moosey
06-24-2007, 04:38 PM
I`m looking at some pre-wax cleaners, for light colored cars, mainly to remove old wax and get the surface ready for a LSP sealant. I don`t need anything that`s made for swirl removal and I don`t need any protection in it. Also, I may even apply this by hand.

I`m currently looking at the following:

- Poorboy`s Pro Polish

- Sonus Paintwork Cleanser

- Pinnacle Paintwork Cleaser

(I was also considering P21s cleaner but read it can leave oils behind so I`m not sure on this one).

Here are my questions:

1. Do any of these products affect bonding with sealants?

2. If I were to apply via PC with an Edge pad would I be alright with a white pad when looking for no correction? Or would blue just be a better bet overall?

3. Are there any major differences between the products? From what I`ve looked at, they all contain fine/micro abrasives and no protection.

Thanks

imported_NHBFAN
06-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I`m looking at some pre-wax cleaners, for light colored cars, mainly to remove old wax and get the surface ready for a LSP sealant. I don`t need anything that`s made for swirl removal and I don`t need any protection in it. Also, I may even apply this by hand.

I`m currently looking at the following:

- Poorboy`s Pro Polish

- Sonus Paintwork Cleanser

- Pinnacle Paintwork Cleaser

(I was also considering P21s cleaner but read it can leave oils behind so I`m not sure on this one).

Here are my questions:

1. Do any of these products affect bonding with sealants?

2. If I were to apply via PC with an Edge pad would I be alright with a white pad when looking for no correction? Or would blue just be a better bet overall?

3. Are there any major differences between the products? From what I`ve looked at, they all contain fine/micro abrasives and no protection.

Thanks

I`m in the same boat. I`ve been using OPS for my base, but I think PB Pro Polish may leave a more "bondable" surface for IW.

I`m also considering ZAIO.

atticdog
06-24-2007, 04:47 PM
prime strong would be a great choice

brig2221
06-24-2007, 04:55 PM
If you are looking for just a paint cleaner, I can`t think of a better one than Klasse AIO.

Accumulator
06-24-2007, 05:05 PM
moosey- Of those three, I`ve only used the Pinnacle PCL, and I`ve never tried topping it with a sealant :nixweiss I always had the impression that it was leaving *something* behind, even though it left the paint squeaky-clean. Whether that`s true, and/or whether any such "something" would matter...well, I can`t say.

As for the pad, I`ve used it with a number of different ones, and as long as the pad itself doesn`t contribute any (functional) cut there shouldn`t be any problems. Note that there`s often a *big* difference between "containing abrasives" (in the sense of the ingredients on the label) ane being *functionally abrasive* on automotive paint. A lot of "abrasives" don`t do anything except make the product easier to use; they don`t abrade the paint the the way I assume you`re concerned about.

Beyond the issue of cut, note that some products work better/worse with more/less porous pads, and personal preference factors in too. E.g., I just don`t like very soft, easily compressed pads for most jobs, so I tend to use firmer pads that some other people do.

NHBFAN- The ZAIO (which I like) is in another league when it comes to abrasion (significantly more so). There`s always the old stand-by Klasse AIO, and even Meg`s Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner might be worth considering. IF you don`t mind a little functional abrasion, then sure, ZAIO might be just the thing.

If the "IW" you`re planning to use is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, I wouldn`t worry about bonding. It always seems to work fine over whatever I use, even products that leave a lot of stuff behind (e.g., 1Z Paint Polish). Oh, and it works great over ZAIO too.

awahl63
06-24-2007, 06:06 PM
PB Pro Polish is very good at cleaning

moosey
06-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. Also, atticdog, I didn`t think of the Prime option, so thanks for the other option. However, would the fact that it`s an AIO create any bonding issues?

Anyone use the Sonus product?

Edit: One more thing while on the Werkstatt line, what is your guys opinion on the Acrylic Jett?

atticdog
06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
prime wont cause bonding issues with anything even zaino it offers abit of protection too

acrylic jett is a great sealant but it doesnt bead like IW

moosey
06-24-2007, 07:33 PM
One more atticdog and I appreciate the help. I`ve never really looked at the Werkstatt line but now that I am it looks pretty good. Looking at the interior aspect of things, how would you rate the Satin Prot (if you`ve used it)? I`ve used the Sonus Total Eclipse and Cockpit Detailer and like the finish of both. Thanks again

atticdog
06-24-2007, 07:37 PM
ive only used prime aj,ajt and acrylic gloss

atticdog
06-24-2007, 07:40 PM
moosey you have a silver 350Z?

i would do prime strong then FK 1000P

this combo is awesome on silver

atticdog
06-24-2007, 07:42 PM
and if you order from finish kare

grab #108 its really nice for interiors and tires

and shipping is only $5 for your whole order

#215 is a nice AIO that i use instead of prime sometimes

RCBuddha
06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
I like:

P21S GEPC

Sonus Paint Cleanser

ZAIO

UPC

All are very easy to use, and leave a nice surface to apply your LSP of choice.

Seankf1105
06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
what about HD Cleanse? just got this stuff a few days ago but havent really tried it yet

imported_NHBFAN
06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
what about HD Cleanse? just got this stuff a few days ago but havent really tried it yet

Never used it. Does it leave anything behind, e.g. protection?