PDA

View Full Version : long haul truck gloss......wax"

dazco
06-22-2007, 04:22 PM
I know you all say it`s QD, but do you really know that? As much as i love this stuff i have to say that it applys and comes and feels like the mothers FX spray wax i have. It has the same difference in application and removal that i see between FX spray and QD. QD goes on and comes right off instantly and has the consistancy of water. Spray wax has a thicker and milky consistancy/look that takes some work to remove w/o leaving splotches that take some elbow grease at times to remove. Not a haze like some QD`s leave, but thicker sorta greasy spots that i take to be wax that went on thicker in that spot.

In any case, long haul acts just like The FX spray. I think it`s wax, not QD.

06E90
06-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, it IS supposed to be a QD but I have to agree that is seems to leave some protection behind and adds to the look. Pretty slick too. I really doubt it would last as long as a true spray wax though.

Scottwax
06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Long Haul`s Truck Gloss is the same product as Race Glaze`s QD. When LH first hit the market, I also had a sample of the Race Glaze QD on hand and both had the same exact smell and color. I e-mailed Truck Gloss to ask them about it and I got an e-mail back asking me to call the owner of the company. I did and he confirmed the Long Haul/Race Glaze link. I then noticed the next bottle of Truck Gloss I got a couple months later had a different scent...

Anyway, the owner of Long Haul used to partner with the owner of Race Glaze but wanted to take the product line to the consumer level instead of staying a boutique item. They went their seperate ways, he modified a few of the Race Glaze products for the consumer market (he wouldn`t get specific) but the QD was unchanged.

dazco
06-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah, i bought a bunch of them from a couple different big lots and one smells different from the rest. No difference in how it works tho. and as for protection compared to spray wax....well, as i said i think it IS spray wax for all intents and purposes at least, and while i have no idea what accounts for different people`s experiences, i can tell you it lasts way longer than the mothers FX i have. It not only is much glossier to begin with, but after a couple weeks the car still looks glossy as heck. If you recall my initial posts you`ll recall i was blown away. at this point i am even moreso because i am shocked at how long this stuff is lasting. The only disadvantage as i eluded to earlier is that like the other spray waxs i`ve tried, you don`t just wipe it off like a bit of water like you do with QD. It definatly requires you do more rubbing and manuver around the car to get the right light on the area you`re doing so you can see any blotches it left.

by the way, i think this product is very or totally dependant on the paint color to determine how good it really is. On my blue/black motorcycle i see nothing out of the ordinary and wouldn`t have thought twice about this stuff. On my graphite color honda accord however the stuff is magical.

mikebai1990
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
dazco, can you take pictures? I`ve never found LH Truck Gloss to be stunningly beautiful unlike anything else I`ve seen before. I`m surprised that this is the absolute best product you`ve found in your years of car detailing.

Perhaps the color makes a difference..

dazco
06-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Perhaps the color makes a difference..

well, thats what i said i think is the reason. after all, it does make my bike seem to be a bit glossier, but it`s subtle enough to where i`d never describe it the way i have on the car. On my car it`s a totally different thing. I`ll try and take a shot if i get around to it this weekend, and i`ll shoot it WITH a few days of dust on it because thats what really blows me away..........even after an amount of dust that usually makes my car look dirty, the glossiness comes thru and almost hides the dust. I`m on dialup, so i don`t know that i`ll wanna upload a huge pic. And i gotta say i`m not really a believer in judging the shine by pictures because the difference between a normal excellent shine and magic IMO is almost not decernable via a pic unless you are familiar with the car. But i`ll see what i can do if i have time. But to be clear, i didn`t intend this post to be about the merits of LH, but whether or not it`s a spray wax. I still say it is wax because it acts exactly like FX spray and nothing like any QD i`ve ever used.

mikebai1990
06-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Gotcha. I`ll be waiting for the pictures!

Well, regarding whether it`s a spray wax: I think a spray wax needs to have a certain amount of durability. I`ve never tried using LH truck gloss by itself to measure it`s durability, but from what I`ve heard, the durability is nothing too amazing. Thus, I tend to consider it as a QD, something that I would use to remove bird bombs or to aid in the drying process. Spray waxes like Duragloss Aquawax can protect for a month or two, so I consider it a spray wax because it can prolong the durability of my wax which is underneath it.

dazco
06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Ok Mike. I`m doing this against my better judgment because like i said in my last (?) post, i don`t think you could tell from a pic, and especially not knowing how my particular car usually looks. But here ya go. 2 pics that i cropped and did auto levels to just to keep them from being overexposed which my camera tens to do. otherwise untouched. The first 2 are to show the look and the third to show you how much dust is on it. I did that because as i said earlier, i`m amazed at how dusty it can get and the dust hardly shows and the gloss cuts right thru it. In any case, i know many will shrug the pics off, but like i said theres no way to see what i do with a few pics, which by the way are highly compressed to about 1/8th normal file size because i`m on dialup. Also, this is after about a week since i last did it. I live on a 4 lane bust road and it gets dirty fast. But trust me, i did it last time not because it needed it, i just wanted to. It still looks the same after even longer, at least untill it gets so dusty it`s wearing a dirt sweater. but even then the gloss seems to come thru like it never has before.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/dazco/lh2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/dazco/lh1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/dazco/lh3.jpg

mikebai1990
06-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I see. I understand that the pictures don`t properly represent what a car looks like, but I`ll take your word for it :)

imported_wagonproject
11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Not to bump an old thread, but does anyone happen to still use this? Looking at possibly bidding on some (15 boxes) and was wondering if I should even. Or just get some of the more talked about brands on here.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/wagonproject/64652.jpg

Scottwax
11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Good QD to use as clay lube or quick clean-ups. There are better products but if you get a good price, it would be a good deal. I still see it occasionally at Pep Boys.

BigAl3
11-10-2008, 03:26 AM
the LH bug degreaser was also a good product, it`s too bad it isn`t around anymore...

BigJimZ28
11-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I still use it (bought a bunch when Big lots was clearing it out)

if the price id good go for it

Dan
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Yep, I really like the stuff for clay lube. Would I buy more? Probably not, I have too much other stuff sitting around. I gotta stop getting "deals"