PDA

View Full Version : Subaru paint!!!

Tadge
06-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Gday,

I have just got a Subaru Impreza, fantastic little car, but the paint...........ouch!

The factory paintwork is TERRIBLE!! While the clearcoat is super smooth now after a lot of prep and waxing, the bascoat is horribly `peeled`. With the recent waxing and hard work it should look fantastic but any reflection is blurred by the hammered finish of the base coat. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to hide it?

My last car, a Holden Monaro (the same body as a the new Pontiac GTO), had a showcar finish with the factory paint. Subaru has dropped the ball big time!!

The paint is a dark mettalic blue, unfortunatly the NXT paste under Meg #26 has dulled the flake. Any suggentions on products that dont?

I feel there is no cure but any suggestions would be great.

Cheers in advance

Tadge

imported_Yal
06-22-2007, 08:53 AM
I don`t think you can cure clearcoat orange peel completely without wetsanding:nixweiss But if its the basecoat I know you`re out of luck :(

Accumulator
06-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Tadge- Welcome to Autopia!

My WRX had pretty poor paint too. Yeah, there was a lot of orangepeel and all the "out of sight" places like under the hood were not even clearcoated. I guess that`s one way they keep `em inexpensive. I`d live with it as the paint is pretty thin as it is.

On mine, IIRC, some of the lower areas had a textured finish on purpose, it was a type of heavy-duty coating to minimize stone chips.

Don`t feel too bad, my Audi S8 has some pretty awful orangepeel too.

I used the Klasse twins on my (silver) WRX, but I like UPP on metallics too. I suspect the #26 (which can be great on dark colors and red) is doing the muting, more so than the NXT (which a friend uses on his metallic blue Jag).