PDA

View Full Version : Subie Newbie

Pages : [1] 2

tito
06-21-2007, 11:47 PM
1st an introduction, I`m Tito and my new Subie`s name is RUBY.

I could use some advice on putting together a good system for a New Subie Outback Dark Grey Metallic. Since the car is new I`d like to take the ounce of prevention approach. But I also really admire the KISS approach also. I`m utterly clue-less too.

What I do know is that I would appreciate some suggestions for a routine that will provide a fool-proof way of keeping the car looking tip-top, providing excellent protection while keeping things to an easy beginner level for the time being. I also realize that quality doesn`t cost it pays while a decorated turd is no gift either. So I`m willing to spend money on quality but not hype I suppose.

Thanks,

Tito

Tito

When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not.

-- Yoda

ruining
06-22-2007, 12:10 AM
YOU COULD START HERE. (http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/)

FitSport
06-22-2007, 01:03 AM
1 New Subie Outback Dark Grey Metallic.

My understanding from this site is that Scooby-doo paints are soft, just like pretty much every jap car. Therefore the car can easily get marred/swirled/scratched/chipped. I`m going through a painful time fixing my stone chips myself on my Honda. :)

tito
06-22-2007, 05:01 AM
So yeah I just saw the soft paint claim too... if this is true then I`m really clue-less about what to do about that. I have read through most of the 101 stuff and fair amount of posts. I suppose since I have about zero experience washing and waxing a car properly I would poke around and try to get some suggestions for products for someone like myself. I want to protect my car as well as possible without going out and purchasing everything under the sun on my first go round.

Please understand I`m not looking for a what`s the best product on the market type of answer. But more like a good beginner setup that I can be at ease using that I can grow into further down the road.

So from what I can tell I`m looking for:

Wash: which I assume any brand car wash will suit me fine right now.

Mitt, Applicators, Towel / Chamois:

Clay Bar?

Polish?

Wax?

Detail Spray?

and anything else that is needed I`m not familiar with.

All of which the degree of difficulty is relative low to medium yet provides peace of mind that the soft delicate Japanese paint is well protected.

Thanks,

Tito

Tito

"But, there was a lot about the Dude that didn`t make a lot of sense to me..."

CHAOS
06-22-2007, 06:12 AM
the brand thing kinda falls into the "try it out" category, some people have really good luck with brands that others just dont like... personally im trying out the poorboys brand and thus far im very happy... however you may not like them with your car(s).... and yes the subaru paint is soft and thin :)

ndtechie05
06-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah my 06 Impreza paint is crap. No swirls because I bought it new with no swirls and continued to care for it but it rock chips like hell

FitSport
06-22-2007, 08:00 AM
So yeah I just saw the soft paint claim too... if this is true then I`m really clue-less about what to do about that. I have read through most of the 101 stuff and fair amount of posts. I suppose since I have about zero experience washing and waxing a car properly I would poke around and try to get some suggestions for products for someone like myself. I want to protect my car as well as possible without going out and purchasing everything under the sun on my first go round.

Please understand I`m not looking for a what`s the best product on the market type of answer. But more like a good beginner setup that I can be at ease using that I can grow into further down the road.

So from what I can tell I`m looking for:

Wash: which I assume any brand car wash will suit me fine right now.

Mitt, Applicators, Towel / Chamois:

Clay Bar?

Polish?

Wax?

Detail Spray?

and anything else that is needed I`m not familiar with.

All of which the degree of difficulty is relative low to medium yet provides peace of mind that the soft delicate Japanese paint is well protected.

Swirling and marring in my opinion can be minimized...if not avoided all together. I`m of the opinion now that investing heavily on towels whether it be for washing, drying, or waxing is very crucial and should be looked at first. I consider myself fortunate that I`m only inducing marring on my paint and not swirling, but I still have some ways to go and some products to try. I do not recommend towels that you can easily get off the counter at your local store. Online stores such as pakshak, danase, autogeek, classic motoring, and other recommended sites offer high quality MF towels for drying and waxing/polishing. For washing, you might want to run a search on sea sponges, the schmitt, and high quality MF mitts to name some favourites. You should also run a search on car shampoos. I use Meg`s Gold Class, but I am switching after it`s gone. Accumulator recommends Griot`s, or a lot of people talk about ONR.

Also, run some searches on washing/drying techniques. All that investment is no good if you don`t know how to use it properly. Here`s a couple http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/91749-2-bucket-huh.html and http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/91995-washing-drying-thats-giving-me-marring-need-advice.html

:)

jmorton10
06-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Subaru paint really does suck. Both my brothers drive Outback wagons & the front end of both of them are BADLY stone chipped (much worse than they have any right to be for the amount of use they`ve had)

Now granted, neither one of them takes fanatical care of their vehicle but then again I`m not sure what you would do differently to prevent stone chipping......

~John

imported_Yal
06-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Take the car now to a CLEAR BRA dealer and have one installed if stone chips will bother you. A good number of Legacy/Outback owners I know have done this and are happy with it.

I have an 05 Legacy wagon (same body style) and the paint is soft, it really doesn`t matter how well you wash it Subaru paint mars when you breathe on it :D I have managed to keep the marring way down by good washing techniques and by instructing the dealer not to wash the car everytime I bring it in for warranty work :) The PC works really well with this soft paint.

tito
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow this paint dilemma has me more concerned about taking care of the finish. It`s great to see all the Subaru people responding to this post. I would really like to know what type of regime to follow now condsidering. And some good suggestions for product.

When I say clue-less I`m not joking. I`m really in the dark about what I need to start keeping that showroom shine and getting good protection.

1. What mitt and towels are best suited for me? About how many will I need?

2. After reading further I`m wondering if Klasse products would be a good option for some protection?

3. I`m open for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tito

Tito

"I told that Kraut a thousand times — I don`t roll on Shabbas!"

Tito

FitSport
06-22-2007, 05:26 PM
When I say clue-less I`m not joking. I`m really in the dark about what I need to start keeping that showroom shine and getting good protection.

Exactly how obsessed/anal are you in keeping your car showroom clean? Are we talking I`d-divorce-my-wife-to-keep-my-car-clean anal? :)

Old Pirate
06-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Ha, in a heartbeat!

Prairie
06-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Anyway, i`ve got an 07` Impreza. Just look past the meloning, and you`ll be fine. It`s nothing you can change so keep it swirl and mar free :)

tito
06-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Exactly how obsessed/anal are you in keeping your car showroom clean? Are we talking I`d-divorce-my-wife-to-keep-my-car-clean anal? :)

1st off I`m not that anal and 2nd I have not found a girl that dumb yet. I`m just looking to start with a good 3,4 or 5 step process that will keep the car protected and looking good for years to come.Problem is I`m not sure what products to begin with.

Thanks

Tito

Tito

"All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back..."

FitSport
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
1st off I`m not that anal and 2nd I have not found a girl that dumb yet. I`m just looking to start with a good 3,4 or 5 step process that will keep the car protected and looking good for years to come.Problem is I`m not sure what products to begin with.

Accumulator recommended to me Griot`s Car Wash Shampoo. I`d start with that. I`m close to finishing off my Meg`s Gold Class, and personally I don`t recommend it. I believe it`s contributing to my marring along with the sheepskin mitt that I used. I`m currently using a plush MF mitt, but just got back from the local art store and bought a couple of 4" wool sea sponges to try out. For drying, I`d go with a quality thick plush MF drying towel or waffle-weave. For towels, try pakshak, Danase, Autogeek, or Classic Motoring. :)