PDA

View Full Version : Getting started, give me some feedback.

sganapoler
06-21-2007, 06:02 PM
so my buddy and i are getting ready to start up a little mobile detailing service for the SF north bay area. my friend is anxious to jump in feet first and spend all kinds of money we dont have on many tools, namely power tools. i am trying to tell him that we should start slow and small until we can expand our client base, and therefore our arsenal. so far we have a 6" electric buffer, a compressor, and a nice steam cleaner/vacuum. as well as a hand full of rags, microcloths, brushes, soaps and waxes, and other claybars and such.

my question is, what other, if any tools or products should we have on hand? Brand names? specific hand tools? Techniques? i have been doing research online and talking to experianced detailers, collecting pieces of advice, but i will take anything you wanna throw at me. any and all help is welcomed! thank you for your time.

s

Johnnie27
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I don`t own a detailing business and I`m certainly not a professional detailer. I`m just speaking as an educated business person.

It sounds like your friend will end up biting more than he can chew. If you guys aren`t prepared to handle any job you will be turing down a lot of business and establishing a bad repuation from the very start. There`s nothing wrong with buying all the tools but if you don`t know how to use them, you`re screwed. In regards to detailing, do you know how to use a rotary? Personally I wouldn`t open up a detail shop without know how to deal with every situation. It`s one thing to do it as a side business with family and friends but if it`s your only income you better know what you`re doing. You`re also going to want to make sure your company has insurance.

It seems like you guys will be better off starting out slow and grow slowly. One thing that I`ve noticed, successful companies don`t grow over night. If I were to open my own detail business I`d be an apprentice and learn with the pros and then go my own way.

Good luck,

J

jeteast99
06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
What are you going to focus on? Car washes and quick wax jobs or full details? Either way i think you should pick up some optimum no rinse and a few 5 gallon buckets. This is what i have been doing for the last few months and i have no problems at all. just make sure you know how to use it so you can prevent swirls.

When i first began i thought i would need a generator but i have learned that most details and washes i get are going to a customers home. Most office parks here (Orlando) will not allow mobile detailers in their parking lot due to liability issues so i do not need a generator at all. I never had a problem with using someone`s electric. Also pick up a PC and/or rotary. I started out using a PC but it took so long to remove swirls. Now I have a rotary and it is much faster but i am still learning since i have a problem with holograms but that is improving.

Also you may want to get some halogen lights, extension cords, more MF towels, and buy tire dressing in bulk since it is a lot cheaper. Use it in your tires and wheel wells.

Also get a business license and insurance. That has helped me since i am able to do contract work with local businesses such as hotels. A simple website also helps