PDA

View Full Version : any fixes for a fading dashboard?

sapphireTL
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I have an 06 Acura TL, and the black dash is starting to look dull...almost faded. (Sorry no pix yet.) It SUX because I detail the car with 303 every 5 weeks, plus it is in the garage at home and at work.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any fixes to bring back color to vinyl?

The 303 website suggests using a mild polish on the dash, then going over that with 303.

Hmm...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!:thx

mikebai1990
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Hm... I can`t think of why your dash would be fading so quickly. Even if you don`t maintain it, it should easily last years. Can you take pictures?

jnmttu
06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
The 04 and up TL`s are notorious for this. Acura even put out a TSB to their dealers about it because it is so widespread. Basically, I was doing what the TSB says anyway. I clean my dash every couple months. I use Griot`s interior cleaner because it woks well and I have a bunch, but I am sure you can use whatever. Then I put at least 3 layers of 303 on it when I am done. Mine starts to look a little less black after a couple months, so I just do it again.

Is it acceptable for a car in this price range, no. Is it something I have to live with, yes. Is it easily fixed, for the most part yes. All in all, this is the worst thing my TL has done in 27,000 miles so it hasn`t really tainted my opinion of the car. Ask me about how much my friends with Audi`s and Benz`s have done to their cars in the first 30,000 miles.

Way2SSlow
06-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Take it to the dealer and see if they`ll warranty it, but dont let them wash the car!

imported_Dave1
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
That`s weird......Is it only black dashes that have this problem......?

I own a 98 TL that has been bullet proof since day one. The tan interior dash still looks new. I wonder if it`s a dye quality issue with the vendor.....?

Take it to the dealer and ask about interiors and warranties......

Good luck......:xyxthumbs

awl57
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
This is a very well known problem with TLs, where the plasticizer(?) migrates out of the dash causing a white haze. You can probably see the outline of a box over the glove compartment (this is the outline of the air bag). If you take it too the dealer they will fix it by cleaning the dash. You might try looking at the forums at acurazine.com.

sapphireTL
06-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks y`all!

Mikebai1990 - yep, gonna get some pix posted soon...that always helps

jnmttu - fellow Acura friend... I totally agree. nice to know I`m not the only one with this problem. it makes me feel like a "bad parent" to see my beloved TL with any flaw.

way2SSlow - thanks, yeah I probably should see a dealer, but I don`t trust those guys. Oh and yes, I have a sign I keep in my car that says "please do NOT wash this car"

Dave1 - thanks again for the dealer advice. I`ll try them as a last resort. wish I had more of a tan dash color like yours.

awl57 - thanks and yep, I`m an acurazine member. good idea :) that`s interesting about the plasticizer stuff. hopefully Acura will fix that in the future.

So, Griot`s interior cleaner works...I might try that. Griot`s sends me a new catalog every week anyway.

How about diluted Woolite? Any luck with that on the dash?

And is 303 protectant still the best product for the final touch?

Thanks again everyone!:2thumbs:

BigAl3
06-21-2007, 08:09 PM
also in this hot heat, let`s not forget about the sun shade which will also help in aiding the dash. especially, if you have black interior like me... :(

Crusader101
06-21-2007, 10:03 PM
You may also want to consider Megs #40...it did a nice job restoring the color back to my dash on a 1984 Lincoln.

jnmttu
06-22-2007, 07:23 AM
How about diluted Woolite? Any luck with that on the dash?

And is 303 protectant still the best product for the final touch?

Thanks again everyone!:2thumbs:

I think I have used the water/Woolite mix on it a couple of times. Don`t be afraid to scrub it lightly. Obviously nothing too aggressive, but it does help. I use 303 because it is my "go to" and it leaves the dash in all our cars looking like new instead of all shiny. Mine has definitely stayed looking good much longer now that it is a garage almost all the time.

mblgjr
06-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Poorboy`s Natural Look works great for me.

On faded/chalked plastics it adds some depth and color back. Plus its supposed to have UV protectors in it.