PDA

View Full Version : removing leftover detailing products on trim

drmz
06-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering, how can I remove left over detailing products that are showing up as white flakes / marks on my black trim without damaging the paint around it or removing all the detailing products on the paint around the black trim?

I tried masking up my car with masking tape last time I used the Porter cable but when the porter cable came in contact with the masking tape it was picking up the sticky bits in the tape and smearing them all over the paint :shocked so I took it all off and detailed without the tape on.

So it seems like the white residue is inevitable after a detail, I would like to know how to remove it from intricate bumper lines, on the black trim surrounding window edges and door seals etc

Thanks a lot!

CHAOS
06-20-2007, 06:33 AM
picking up the sticky part of the tape? that doesnt seem quite right.... r u sure you are prepping the car properly?

drmz
06-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Hello,

Yes I applied masking tape to all the black trim, and when the porter cable came into contact with the masking tape on speed 6 it would pull up the sides of the masking tape and come in contact with the sticky surface which was taped to the trim, then this sticky surface curls up into lots of little balls due to the porter cable spinning so fast and the pad picks the sticky balls up and smears them over the work, :scared:

CHAOS
06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
hmm, i have yet to experience that, but may try some APC on the trim and see if it works...

Way2SSlow
06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
If APC doenst work there are products made specifically for this issue. Wax Blaster is one that comes to mind. I usually use a little Hi Temp Akrya Klean if I slip up and get my trim.

drmz
06-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys, definitely some ideas there, is there an extended name for APC? I can`t seem to find it anywhere online

drmz
06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
I usually just find it hard to do around windows / pillars when using the sonus SFX pads, they are too big to not touch the trim really :S

audicoupej
06-20-2007, 09:10 AM
APC = all purpose cleaner. They are available OTC (over the counter). Just follow the dilution ratios on the bottle.

Every now and then I get the same problem with the edges of the tape coming loose. The adhesive makes a sticky mess on the paint. I just try to tape tight to the edge and stay back slightly.

CHAOS
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM
i dunno man, i was able to avoid making any bad contact with the trim on my sti with big pads, what maching r u using? .... APC= all purpose cleaner, there are several out there, my favorite right now is the P21s total auto wash

Matt1
06-20-2007, 01:25 PM
3M makes a remover that actually works well. It should be available at any regular auto parts store.

mikelea4ever
06-20-2007, 05:00 PM
is there any substitute you can use besides a painter`s tape?