PDA

View Full Version : Noob with UDM need polishes

bptk
06-19-2007, 11:12 AM
I use to have a 7336 but it was thrown away with all my polishes/waxes/clay when i moved. Big loss... but now i have a udm on the way with all thew new das 2 pads. Now... i feel like a noob again and need help picking out some polishes. Two cars i will be mainly detailing are an 2003 acura cl.. silver.. pretty good paint, and a 1995 honda civic charcoal some swirls.. oxidizing etc. Need some recommendations on polishes Thanks.

WhosRich
06-27-2007, 05:10 PM
cant go wrong with menzerna polishes from what im reading...

sQuashed
06-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Or Optimum.... Get the compound and polish. Its my cure all.

rwisejr
06-27-2007, 05:24 PM
+1 for Menzerna and +1 for Optimum .You can`t lose with either. Optimum is better if you have to work in the sun. Menzerna does not like being worked in the sun. I also have seen others mixing some optimum with menzerna polishes to get longer working time.

imported_95legend
06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I happened to use both the optimum compound and menzerna SIP (in the hot sun) :D

I use the compound for the heavier swirls (using light cutting pad), followed by SIP with a polishing pad. The result came out great!!

I love the optimum because it works well in the sun. My black paint was no match for the optimum :D

BigAl3
06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
optimum polish & compound = :2thumbs:

ZoranC
06-28-2007, 12:27 AM
menzerna polish & compound = :2thumbs:

WhosRich
06-28-2007, 12:41 AM
the poorboys line is an economical choice as well..

sixty7mustang22
06-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I only recommend Optimum with a rotary. The PC and UDM don`t break it down quickly enough for it to be effective. It has to many lubricants.

Menzerna is a good choice, Poorboys is a great choice and I would also reccommend the XMT line.

Glossy McGlosserton
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
I`ve just gotten the UDM, and on my first two cars (Hondas) have used UDM with Optimum Compound x 2 or 3 passes with the white DAS "Scratchbuster" pad (more aggressive than orange LC according to David) followed by Z-PC on a green DAS pad. The Z-PC is a lot more pleasant to use. Correction with the OC is laborious. I`m getting decent results (the SO is amazed, appreciative, and has stopped making snide comments about my interest in detailing), but deeper swirls (not felt by fingernail run across) are tough to budge.

Any suggestions or comments on better polish/pad combos? I appreciate any ideas.

Scottwax
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I only recommend Optimum with a rotary. The PC and UDM don`t break it down quickly enough for it to be effective. It has to many lubricants.

I`ve found the solution is to use less than you think you need. I have Meguiars #83 on these pads but you`d use about the same amount per section with Optimum Polishes as well.

http://www.downshizzle.com/all_the_dacp_you_need.jpg

Glossy McGlosserton
07-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks, Scott. I`ve read the other posts about OC, and your photos really are worth a thousand words in making clear how little is needed. I`m on my way home to finish a detail, and will put this advice to immediate use.