PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning of Pads

Mike K
05-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Do you more experienced and professional detailers clean your pads after each use, even if you use the same product on the same pad.

I am wondering if I can just store my pads saturated with product in Zip lock bags until the next use. I see that Meguire`s recommends that you not clean their pads just tap the dry resedue out of them.

So what`s the advice of you Pro`s

GregCavi
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
WEll i follow the rule never let your product dry in the pads. I will always soak my pads in a bucket of car shampoo for a while and then agitate them. After they are clean i liek to throw them in the wash for a quick rinse. After that I usually let them air dry but sometimes when im in a hurry i will run them in the dryer on low heat for a while.

Greg

matthiasj
05-31-2005, 04:18 PM
I clean my terry apps in the washer, no fabric softner. You could probably get a metal brush and kinda brush the product outta the pad so its not so caked in.

TrueDetailer
05-31-2005, 07:30 PM
I use wool pads so i just spur mine out until they need to be washed. For you i guess your using foam.I don`t see why you can`t use them a few times and store them.

kimwallace
05-31-2005, 08:00 PM
If I am using the pads within a few days to a week, I store them in a zip-lock and just reuse them. anylonger than that and I wash them out with Dawn and warm water and let dry.
If they sit in a sealed zip-lock for too long they can become moldy (grow green fuzzy stuff) They also seem to lose some of their firmness.
Just my .02

norahcrv
06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
After my weekend detail, I tried a new method for cleaning my terry applicators & badly stained Meguiar`s pads.

I put them in a bucket with PB`s Biodegradable APC @ 2 oz. to 3-4 gallons of hot water, & let them sit for 1/2 hour while I rinsed my microfibers. Then I agitated them a little, & squeezed as much product out as possible & rinsed them til the water was mostly clear.

Then I zipped them into a "lingerie" bag & tossed them in the washing machine with the microfibers. I used a mix of woolite & Oxyclean liquid on the "Gentle" cycle & added 1/4 cup of vinegar to the second rinse.

I dried them in the dryer until just damp & left them out to finish air drying.

I can`t see any obvious damage to the velcro, and they are like new, with the exception of the SSR stains!

matthiasj
06-02-2005, 10:51 AM
i washed some foam app pads i have in the washer with my MF`s and they turned out fine. Before i did that though, i scrubbed them in a sink of hot water and dawn, to remove the big stuff.

truckerbaer
06-11-2005, 08:40 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html Check this pad rejuvenator, comes with free bonnets right now- if its free its for me!

That looks the same as this stuff (Snappy Clean), but the Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder is cheaper
http://www.autogeek.net/snappytool.html

NYV6Coupe
06-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I wash after every detail `cause I believe the abrasives in some polishes will remain in the pad if you don`t work the product properly & break-down the abrasives.

Why take a chance on fritzing-up the paint more than it already is. People are so concerned with using a manual device like the waterblade but don`t think twice about using a pad with possible dried-in product.

I think using a soiled pad is more likely to cause problems.

JeffM
06-12-2005, 07:40 PM
I soak my pads in the wash sink, rinse them by hand, and put them in the wash on a spin cycle- every time. They are almost perfectly dry right out of the washer.

DetailQueen
06-13-2005, 01:54 PM
That looks the same as this stuff (Snappy Clean), but the Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder is cheaper
http://www.autogeek.net/snappytool.html

Just FYI, 16oz DP versus 16 oz of Snappy Clean - DP is $3.84 cheaper

mgm2003
06-13-2005, 02:01 PM
You guys are putting your pads in the washing machine? I`ve never done/considered that.

I wash mine with APC/hot water mix most time. Sometimes I`ll use Tide or Woolite, but I don`t think they degrease your pads as well as APC.

I usually have a bucket on hand during a job to clean & spin dry on the machine as I go. I`ll let them air dry, then pack them away in zip lock bags for storage.

If I had to buy MF and pad specific detergent I`d be in the poor house :)

JeffM
06-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Just to clarify, i dont wash my pads in the washing machine, i do em by hand, but i spin them dry in the washer, or the pc if i only used 1.

Gonzo0903
06-13-2005, 07:33 PM
I clean my pads after every use. I spray the pads with Zep`s Citrus cleaner mixed 50/50 with water, then put them in warm water in a spare wash bucket to loosen up the polishing compound residues. I let them soak for an hour or so, then rinse them with warm water and spin dry therm on the PC if I need them the next day; air dry them if I have nothing scheduled for a while. I still have the original set of CMA pads that I ordered when I got my PC two years ago, and with this cleaning method they have held up beautifully.

I do the same for my 3M rotary polisher pads. :shift