PDA

View Full Version : Removing Random Scratches

Danspeed1
06-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone,

Another 96 Impala question.... this is day 2, I am taking off work tomorrow to try and get this done... I tried a little spot of ZPC on my paint to try and remove the water spots, and swirls with no luck, so I moved right to the Meguiars #83 and a white final finish pad. Got all the swirls out and 99% of the water spots, but it seems to be doing nothing for the random scratches. They pretty light from what I can tell; definately in the top of the clear coat. I was thinking about stepping up to a green polishing pad, if i can find one at a local store; any idea who sells them locally guys? Or do I need a more hardcore polish? I am running out of time so I can`t order anything new? What do I do?

Dan

Danspeed1
06-19-2007, 09:02 AM
To the top

mikelea4ever
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
any opinions from pros here???? ^^^

Accumulator
06-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Danspeed1- The clear on my B-bodies of that vintage wasn`t all *THAT* hard, but it was too hard for #83 to work quickly by PC, at least with a mild pad.

So yeah, I`d step up to a more aggressive pad and the step back down to a combo that`ll provide a ready-to-wax finish.

And even if you don`t get all the RIDS out, it`ll still look mighty nice for an 11-year-old car. IMO you oughta get it as nice as you can for now and consider any major re-do well in the future after you`ve had time to consider/order different products (if you decide you need them). I bet that`s not what you want to hear ;) but you gotta be reasonable, which isn`t always easy if you spend time here at Autopia :chuckle:

Danspeed1
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Danspeed1- The clear on my B-bodies of that vintage wasn`t all *THAT* hard, but it was too hard for #83 to work quickly by PC, at least with a mild pad.

So yeah, I`d step up to a more aggressive pad and the step back down to a combo that`ll provide a ready-to-wax finish.

And even if you don`t get all the RIDS out, it`ll still look mighty nice for an 11-year-old car. IMO you oughta get it as nice as you can for now and consider any major re-do well in the future after you`ve had time to consider/order different products (if you decide you need them). I bet that`s not what you want to hear ;) but you gotta be reasonable, which isn`t always easy if you spend time here at Autopia :chuckle:

I have problems.... Something is wrong with my head,... I clean, and clean, and clean, and it still never looks just right :wall . I just bought some 3M imperial hand glaze,.. that didn`t work too well either, whats the next step on the megiars ladder?

DG

Accumulator
06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I have problems.... Something is wrong with my head,... I clean, and clean, and clean, and it still never looks just right ..whats the next step on the megiars ladder?

I`d work on that inability to say "good enough" ;)

The next step in the Meg`s line would be the new version of #2, but I`d try smaller, more aggressive pads.

And I`d consider looking to other product lines too.

Danspeed1
06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I give up... I just went out bought the meguiars polishing pad (the only one I could get locally) and tried some Meg Paint Cut/Cleaner, no improvement... Whatever, hopefully the Zaino will cover some of this up. DG