PDA

View Full Version : Poli-seal problem

Stuff
06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
A friend came over today and we cleaned up his civic. After the wash I decided that poli-seal would do a good job of cleaning up the paint. I went to use the poli-seal with a Sonus DAS blue pad. I kept better this really odd effect. After applying the product and buffing it off. I could see lines in the paint where I had just run the pad over. Its really hard to explain and I could not get good pics. But after I buffed off the poli-seal it looked like I had not buffed it off. You could still the lines of motions I had used to apply it. Sorry for not a better description. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

http://monkeystump666.googlepages.com/IMG_2941Medium.JPG

Look between the garage door motor and the light. The color looks different. Out of 10 shots thats the best pic I got. It was very easy to see in person.

imported_paradigm
06-17-2007, 09:03 PM
was the applicator previously used with a different product? can you remove the marks with a QD and MF towel?

Stuff
06-17-2007, 09:23 PM
was the applicator previously used with a different product? can you remove the marks with a QD and MF towel?

The pad was previously used with other products but it has been cleaned. I tried the 1 blue pad and 1 green pad and same thing happened. I had the PC at 5ish and tried several other speeds but still the same problem. I tried some #34 and it did not take them out. I`m trying to think of better ways to describe the problem. It looks like shadows but they follow the pattern I moved the PC. You can see lines that have a higher gloss than the rest of the paint.

brig2221
06-17-2007, 09:26 PM
I had the same exact problem on my black Accord. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as being able to see the lines where you buffed.

It turned out that the polish being used just wasn`t cutting through the gunk on my paint, and was leaving a mess. The gunk I am referring to was an extremely liberal coat of S100 wax. Eventually we had to move up to a little stronger polish that was able to cut through all of the gunk on the paint, and presto, it was fine. In my particular case it was Meguiars #83 that did the trick. After we used that, no problems at all.

So, if you have a fairly strong polish, I would recommend that you use it on a small section of your paint to see if you get better results. Good luck!

wannafbody
06-17-2007, 09:44 PM
after letting the product cure for a while did the issue go away? try rewiping it again.

Stuff
06-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I had the same exact problem on my black Accord. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as being able to see the lines where you buffed.

It turned out that the polish being used just wasn`t cutting through the gunk on my paint, and was leaving a mess. The gunk I am referring to was an extremely liberal coat of S100 wax. Eventually we had to move up to a little stronger polish that was able to cut through all of the gunk on the paint, and presto, it was fine. In my particular case it was Meguiars #83 that did the trick. After we used that, no problems at all.

So, if you have a fairly strong polish, I would recommend that you use it on a small section of your paint to see if you get better results. Good luck!

Interesting. When I was done the pad seemed to be a little darker than normal. There might have just been lots of stuff on the paint. If it were my car I would have bumped up to FFII of SFx-2 but thats starts the grey the line of "I`m waxing a friends car" to actual work. I just wanted to use Poli-seal because I goes on easy and does not take near the time to work as a full polish. But I do understand what you mean by it not being powerful enough to remove everything.

wannafbody: No the problem was still there even after wax and several buffings to try and get it out.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Use additional product. You cant use it like the Optimum polishes, where less might be better. You almost have to go overboard with the Poliseal..........

Stuff
06-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Use additional product. You cant use it like the Optimum polishes, where less might be better. You almost have to go overboard with the Poliseal..........

? Are you saying I should have used more? I typically make an "X" on the pad per panel. I went over the spot again with poli-seal and same problem. I think brig2221 was right there was just to much crap on the hood. The hood was by far the worst and the rest of the car I did not have this problem.

Kenney
06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Was the panel hot after buffing?

imported_rydawg
06-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Honda paint is very absorbant! Like Patrick said, you need more product.

Sometimes I hate honda paint.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda paint is very absorbant! Like Patrick said, you need more product.

Sometimes I hate honda paint.

Yuppers..........

I just think the paint needs a little extra conditioning. Try a couple applications and see if it evens it out. PoliSeal isnt like the rest! Its a little finicky.

Stuff
06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Was the panel hot after buffing?

It was very hot outside and in the garage. The 95deg weather and the high humidity does not help anything.

Thanks guys for the help. I will just try some more product next time.

Junebug
06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I recently did an old Isuzu Trooper, after washing and claying - I tried PoliSeal via a blue Edge pad - rotary, it worked ok, but it gummed up a lot and I had to clean the pad after every panel, brush and MF towel. I used twice as much PS as you would normally use for OP. Maybe I should have used the polish first.

mikelea4ever
06-18-2007, 03:01 PM
It was very hot outside and in the garage. The 95deg weather and the high humidity does not help anything.

Thanks guys for the help. I will just try some more product next time.

Good idea maybe try another product next time. hope it works though. good luck