PDA

View Full Version : my car got keyed.. need help

malloynx
06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Well my 06 scion tc just keyed pretty bad across the rear hatch and bumper. Is there a detailing guide on how I can repair this or should I try to contact my insurance company. I have a PC and a ton of good products; but I want it too look OEM. any help would be greatly apperiated..

pics to follow

BlueLibby04
06-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Ive seen threads where they get the touch up paint from the dealership and filled in the key marks. They then wet sand the touch up paint to level it with the surface and buff the wetsanding marks out..

I would do that as a last resort though..

AuAltima3.5
06-17-2007, 08:13 PM
How long/deep is it? Do you have touch up paint?

It will never look 100%, but you can get really close. If you have more than foot of key mark, you can try to make it look better.

The reason I say one foot is becasue you can do half, and it if it come out crappy, you still have the other half of the unrepaired key mark to show insurance.

Anywho, if it is deep (primer or deeper) then you can try fill, wetsanding, fill, wetsand, etc. then polish. Time consuming; yes. Be careful on your scion, I hear the paint is thin.

It if is not deep, then you can just try a little wetsanding and polish.

Either way, let us know how it turns out. You can search a little too for info on fixing/past DIY`s on it.

malloynx
06-17-2007, 08:20 PM
thank you for the help. it is in the primer but it`s not super deep. I think it`s going to need a fill of paint, wet sanded, then buffed out. I`m going to contact my insurance and see what they say. I have already been involved in 2 hit and runs and a rock went through my bumper on the interstate. I really don`t want my rates to go up.

I also can`t afford to pay out of pocket right now. I think as a last resort i`ll try and fix it myself. I do have the dealer touch-up paint, PC, and the full menzurna line.

BigAl3
06-17-2007, 11:33 PM
sorry to hear about that, too bad you didn`t catch em`... :bat

tguil
06-21-2007, 07:07 PM
thank you for the help. it is in the primer but it`s not super deep. I think it`s going to need a fill of paint, wet sanded, then buffed out. I`m going to contact my insurance and see what they say. I have already been involved in 2 hit and runs and a rock went through my bumper on the interstate. I really don`t want my rates to go up.

I also can`t afford to pay out of pocket right now. I think as a last resort i`ll try and fix it myself. I do have the dealer touch-up paint, PC, and the full menzurna line.

This should be covered under your comprehensive insurance. In the last six months I have had two windshields replaced and $700 worth of hail damage repaired. My rates have not gone up nor will they according to my agent. If you are at all fussy, you will not be satisfied unless you have a repaint. My worry is always the quality of the repaint.

Tom :cool:

ruining
06-21-2007, 11:09 PM
My worry is always the quality of the repaint.

Tom :cool:

I had to have 3 repaints from 2 different shops and I`m thinking about making the second shop hit it again because the orange peel is HORRID, and there are some very small bubbles in the paint. What a PAIN! These were the "two best shops in town".

I hope it doesn`t have to come down to a repaint for your sake. Good luck with the touch up paint. Jerks!:bat

stiffdogg06
06-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Call you insurance company if you have full coverage. My car was keyed in my driveway and I was giving $1,200 to repair it. They got my door and front fender. It`s time consuming, because sometimes you have to go out and get estimates from body shops and then take them to your insurance company and then a adjuster comes looks at it.

Just file the claim, and repair it if you`re good at that.:dance