PDA

View Full Version : Big or small for rotary pads

zannard
05-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Which do you prefer to use? 6.5" pads (or similar size) or 8" pads (or similar)?

I am pretty much still building my rotary skills, but seem to like the 6.5" pads, even on the bigger panels such as the hood or roof.

Does using an 8" save you more time?

MS22
05-30-2005, 11:55 PM
I have used the LC VC 7.5" pads, the Megs and Egde 8" pads, and the Megs 6.5" pads over the past 8 months with the rotary. As of late I have been using the 6.5" Megs pads almost all of the time because I control the machine with greater consistency and in the end achieve better results with the smaller pads. I really have not noticed too much of a difference in polishing time since switching to the smaller Megs pads. Overall I am happy with the smaller pads right now and can not really find anything to complain about with them. I would highly recommend beginners to use the smaller sized pads though, much more control. FWIW, I am the minority on this topic though, most people like the larger pads between 7.5" and 8.5".

kimwallace
05-31-2005, 08:13 PM
I use both when swithing between the PC and rotary.
The smaller pads are easier to control ... important when learning to use the rotary
The smaller pads can be switched between the two machines quickly when a more aggressive approach is needed using the same polish and pad.
The larger pads (8"and up) can only be used on the rotary but will produce great results in less time than the smaller ones.

klnyc
05-31-2005, 09:17 PM
I used both Meg 6.5" and LC 7.5" w/o any problem on my rotary.

TrueDetailer
05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Bigger Is Better! :headbang

probegt
05-31-2005, 09:44 PM
I use the 6.5 megs pads and LC pads. Just what I learned to use.

kimwallace
06-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Just what I learned to use.
That statement contains some powerful advise ...
Too many times we search for the latest, greatest, bigger, smaller, etc. product, pad, machine ... when we need to learn to use to perfection what is already in our hands.
I learned on a rotary many years ago, using 8" and 9" wool pads, when nothing else was available.
Sometimes I think we have too many choices today :)

zannard
06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone, I do agree that since I have learned using the 6.5" pads I have good control. Maybe I will step it up to the larger size down the road.

thanks again for the info.

mr2man
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
I too use the LC/VC pads.

matthiasj
06-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Sometimes I think we have too many choices today :)

exactly, theres so much stuff on the market that i dont know what to buy

awd330
06-02-2005, 11:34 AM
exactly, theres so much stuff on the market that i dont know what to buy
I buy everything. :D Then, I run out of storage space. :(