PDA

View Full Version : Natural Sea Sponges

jdthompson
06-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Does anyone use one?

I gave up on Sheepskin Mitts as they`re simply too big a PITA to keep debris free and to have to dry or store etc.

I`ve been using a shmitt but I`m on my third despite only having the two cars to wash once a week.

Whilst going through the garage I dug out a couple of natural sea sponges that must be five or so years old from when I got my very first brand new car. A quick wash/rinse out and they seem good as new.

Now granted back I probably wasn`t as fussy as I am now, but I don`t recall them scratching or marring so I`m tempted to give them a try, I`m a tad wary simply because it`s a relatively new Boxster and I don`t want to cause myself any correction work.

I wondered who else is using them and what people opinions are?

budman3
06-16-2007, 11:51 AM
They are very nice, IMO. A lot of people use them on this board, try a search for them. I really like sea sponges for rinsless washing - QEW or ONR.

jdthompson
06-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah I`ve been doing a bit of digging, just been trying to narrow down the search so I don`t get 50 pages with "sponge" or "sea" in them.

I`ve bagged one of the Autogeek sponges anyway, someone brought one, used it a couple of times and didn`t get on with it like a mitt so I`ve had it off them, worked out at Autogeeks price but posted which considering I`m in the UK seems a good deal.

tod071
06-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I use one. Picks up dirt very well. No scratching. I`ve tried it with PB SS&S and very sudsy and slippery. I can wash an entire car with SS&S in 15minutes.

Also tried it with ONR and the only thing I don`t like about using it with ONR is that it gets VERY dirty, even using 2 buckets. Effective nonetheless.

MorBid
06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I brought mine from TOL and love it. It`s the only thing I use on my Black Audi.

Holds tons of soapy water and releases dirt far better than any mitt I`ve used.

Greg

jdthompson
06-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Just as a quick update the Autogeek one I picked up cheap arrived earlier this week, and I`ve used it earlier today.

I like it. A lot. Gets into the corners the shmitt doesn`t, rinses clean like the mitt doesn`t, holds a ton of wash solution and keeps the wash bucket sudsy and basically feels "nice/right" to use.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/hutchingsp/Sponge2.jpg