PDA

View Full Version : Paint Coming off!! HELP!

imported_yenwen
06-16-2007, 06:58 AM
So, today was my first time giving my car a detail it`s a 97 318is BMW. While I was clay baring everything was going great till I hit the roof of the car and my clay became black instead of brown. I assumed I didn`t wash it well enough. Then I went on to polish and when I was polishing the roof HELLLLLLA BLACK ON MY MF TOWEL!! So I think parts of my roof has no clear coat. What do I do? Is it ok to continue to detail like normal? any special steps I need to do?

SuperBee364
06-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Is there a possibility that the roof has been repainted with a single-stage paint? If so, then it`s normal for that to happen, as there is no clear coat protection over the color layer of paint.

If it is not a repaint.... ouch. There isn`t really much you can do after clear coat failure, really, except repaint the affected panel(s).

Scottwax
06-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Is the gloss improving? If so, odds are you have a single stage paint and old dead paint coming off is normal.

imported_Reflectionz
06-16-2007, 09:50 PM
does single stage even blend together with 2 stage paint? and man.. if its true, that must be some low end, down and dirty, 2 steps below maacos kind of bodyshop that will do that kind of thing.

how does the roof look when you wiped it off?

imported_yenwen
06-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Well, I think the gloss is getting better... I`m not too sure and I`m pretty sure the roof hasn`t been painted. It`s only part of the roof too that`s coming off. The car is Cosmos black so it`s purty shiny. I`ll see if I can get someone taller than me take a look at it and maybe he can tell me if it looks dull.

David Fermani
06-17-2007, 08:14 AM
I`d 1st check and see if BMW used 2 stage from the factory on those cars. I`ve never known a shop(except Maaco) to use single stage on repaints. Any chance the whole car was painted except the roof? Any tape lines or other indications.

99blackSE
06-17-2007, 10:15 AM
My buddies Cav did the same thing to me, the hood was turning the pads black, even just using KAIO on a finishing pad, it was still turning the thing black. I told him if just the Klasse was doing that then there must be no CC... I have yet to try another part of the car but I am pretty sure it got repainted at some point. Does single stage mar more easily than 2 stage?

David Fermani
06-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Does single stage mar more easily than 2 stage?

No - Marring shows up much easier on 2-stage because micro scratches in clear actually magnify off the base coat in a way. Clear coat (unless tinted) is nothing more than a protective layer for the base coat. On really high end paint jobs where you`re looking for the clearest, deepest appearance, single stage is the best. Black will look blacker, red will look redder. Clear takes away the apearance from a color. This whole myth of 10 coats of clear isn`t working for me when people brag about it. There`s better ways than multiple clear coats to creat a flawless finish.

Grimm
06-17-2007, 09:45 PM
To me it`s all the shine factor. Cars with a lot of clear just look a lot shinier. But like you said, single stage can look better. Plus with a clear coat, you can`t do anything about imperfections in the base.

imported_yenwen
06-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I don`t know what to look for if it is a repaint.

salty
06-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I don`t know what to look for if it is a repaint.

Some factors, change in color or orange peel. Tape lines or paint on trim etc. Over spray. Paint thickness.

mikelea4ever
06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
the same happened on me when detailing my wife`s honda. the roofs paint is already fading for some reason. i don`t think it has a clearcoat in it and it never get repainted before. any thoughts why it`s happening????

imported_Reflectionz
06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
No - Marring shows up much easier on 2-stage because micro scratches in clear actually magnify off the base coat in a way. Clear coat (unless tinted) is nothing more than a protective layer for the base coat. On really high end paint jobs where you`re looking for the clearest, deepest appearance, single stage is the best. Black will look blacker, red will look redder. Clear takes away the apearance from a color. This whole myth of 10 coats of clear isn`t working for me when people brag about it. There`s better ways than multiple clear coats to creat a flawless finish.

Hm.. i always though single stage jobs were cheap but one time i did bump into this guy with a sick *** black charger and he said he payed $20,000 for body and paint on that car and it was single staged.. it looked different and not as shiny as other show cars were, but very nice.. i guess you could say blacker.

imported_yenwen
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
well I polished my whole car and the only place to show black was the roof... so i`m sure they used 2 stage paint on it