PDA

View Full Version : Inside of rims

9935annivgt
06-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Is there anything I can do to prevent pitting on the inside of my rims? I just put new rims on my mustang (sees about 200 miles a month) and I would like for them to stay in good shape for the shows? What is the best way to do this?

tom p.
06-15-2007, 06:36 PM
some type of sealant or Michelin`s Brake Dust Repellant.

mikebai1990
06-15-2007, 07:03 PM
A heavy carnauba like Collinite or a sealant, as tomp mentioned, will be sufficient.

Accumulator
06-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Or you could look into a product called "Zoop Seal". I`ve had mine sitting on the shelf forever, never got around to using it on anything :o

I can`t tell you much about it, but an internet search oughta bring up something.

I just layer KSG (UPP on the S8`s wheels) or Collinite. As long as you clean the back sides at every wash they stay pretty nice once you`ve started from an OK baseline.

4AudiQ
06-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Zoop Seal is sold by Eastwood at Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating (http://www.eastwood.com).

It will not help if your rims are powder coated.

I have never used the stuff.

Just passig along info.

Accumulator
06-16-2007, 01:38 PM
4AudiQ- Yeah, that`s where I got mine. Won`t work over powdercoating huh? That`s worth knowing.

Bigpoppa3346
06-16-2007, 02:07 PM
I would use something like Klasse AIO or something to deep clean the rims, followed by the most durable product you have.

silvergray
06-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Definately a sealant, but when cleaning, nothing I`ve used beats the EZ Detail Brush from Autogeek. Its pretty pricey at $20, but its worth every penny.

jamesuh
06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Collinite might work, I also have Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant that I use.

SVR
06-17-2007, 01:31 AM
What about the Kleen Wheels from Autogeek. A seat cover like protection for the inside of the rims

Then seal the outside with any sealants

Accumulator
06-17-2007, 11:00 AM
.. when cleaning, nothing I`ve used beats the EZ Detail Brush from Autogeek. Its pretty pricey at $20, but its worth every penny.

I get mine from TOL, and I`m on maybe me fourth one. They`re good...but a few caveats:

-The plastic bristles will mar the finish on *some* wheels. Not all, maybe not many, but I won`t use them on the S8`s wheels any more than I`d use it on the hood.

-Lots of backwash; I get a lot of dirty spots on myself whenever I use it. Not a biggie to me...just a FYI.

-It does an imperfect job on the back sides of the wheel spokes. I still have to get in there with something small/thin or it`ll leave some [stuff] behind. It gets the bulk of the soiling off, just not every last bit from every surface.

Again, the above aren`t flames, just observations about something that I do like, and use frequently. It`s great for other stuff too, like the coil springs of the minivan. My first one broke just forward of the handle after very little use, but the others have held up much better.

pingable
06-17-2007, 11:13 AM
ZOOPSEAL - I`ve been waiting forever to read a review on it.......as I`ve been eyeballing this product for at least 2 years.

I`ve always had issues with my outer high polished rim halves but this year, I found a working combo - never did like the look of sealant on the high polished rim halves (have tried AIO/SG and also Z).

Every 2 weeks, I just give it a *touch up* metal polish with heavy metal polish and so far, it`s been relatively main. free ! Dunno what the Heavy Metal Polish leaves behind, but whatever it is, water spotting is nil to non this year.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Just got excited when I saw the word Zoopseal!