PDA

View Full Version : Any other Idaho detailers?

warlockid
06-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Just wondering if there`s any other Idaho area detailers on the forums. I`ve got my prices pretty well set and wondered if I`m on the same page with some independent detailers in the area. Thanks for reading and have a great Friday!

Greg Nichols
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I right near the border of ID and Utah. I live in Cache Valley.

warlockid
06-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Nice to see ya, Greg. Im in Meridian, which is in sw Idaho if youre not familiar. Its pretty much an open market here. Not a lot of high-end clients yet but getting there. Have a great weekend

Jngrbrdman
06-15-2007, 08:40 PM
You don`t need high end clients to make a living. I can detail Hondas and Toyotas all day long at $40 bucks an hour. Just because their car is worth $100,000 doesn`t necessarily mean the price goes up. In fact, I make less money when I detail a garage queen than when I do a daily driver. I mean, how much work can it be to throw a coat of wax on a car that sees 100 miles a year? It doesn`t take long and it doesn`t bank much money. I make more on their daily drivers than I do off their pride and joy. lol

warlockid
06-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Im with you on the daily drivers. Its safer, thats for sure. I wouldnt mind the challenge of something high-end, but in the end, Im more comfortable working on what I know best.

$40/hour you say? Ive been considering going from flat rate to hourly. I think hourly should be the way to go.

Jngrbrdman
06-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I`m only saying $40 an hour because that is how I base my flat rate prices. I look at the vehicle, or get a rough idea of what I`m dealing with from their description, and then times however many hours I think it will take by 40. That is their price. Sometimes I eat a couple bucks by taking 30 minutes longer than I estimated, but usually I can hit the post pretty well. Everything seems to be a 3 hour job these days unless it is just the exterior or something. $120 - $180 is the average area that my details are hitting. If I told them I`m charging $40 an hour then they might think I`m milking the job. I just tell them the flat rate based on my hourly rate and leave it at that. They don`t need to know, nor do they care about my pricing structures. ;)

Greg Nichols
06-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Nice to see ya, Greg. Im in Meridian, which is in sw Idaho if youre not familiar. Its pretty much an open market here. Not a lot of high-end clients yet but getting there. Have a great weekend

I know exactly the area. Boise is a good market. Good luck with starting up, I find that I have to educate people about the benefits of a polished car more than anything. I just went to a hot rod car show and EVERY SINGLE CAR was a swirled mess and robbed the shine of the car, but these guys all thought they looked good. Even after showing them my portfolio of the corrections and effect of thoes corrections they did not see the point. Hell I even had to teach them that drying a car with a bath towel and detail spray on a hot paint caused the problems. I would have thought that a owners like these would have spotless cars. Some of the old timers was like talking to a brick wall about how to get the most out of their cars paint. Enough of the rant.

Cheers,

GREG

steelwind101
07-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi!!

Im on holiday in Boise Idaho right now over from the UK.

Are there any specific detail product stores in the area?? I see there are plenty of drive up places calling themself detail shops. I went in to Bellevue and the first two stores on the right were detailers....sweet!! I dont think they were selling products, i have got a few bits to take home though from Autozone, Walmart, Big lots etc. Any CG suppliers etc. would be good to find.

GEOFF