PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and treating window guides in doors

imported_nmikmik
06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I usually apply liberal amount of the silicone spray on the window felt and adjacent rubber molding when I detail my cars, especially after a purchase of the used vehicle. Lately I am questioning my methodology. :idea Am I grinding in the dirt accumulated on the felt inside of it and making it worse? I do have a compressor, so theoretically I could “air clean” the felts first and then apply silicone.

So what would you do here?

I have a pretty good luck using silicone on the rubber seals. Should I apply it to the door moldings and seals and then apply a conditioner like F21 (by Turtle Wax) or 303 Aerospace Protectant (by 303 Products) ?

Bigpoppa3346
06-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I`m not sure using cheap oil-based products are the way to go for these areas.

I usually steam clean these areas, then dress with something water-based like Meg`s Hyper Dressing 3:1.

pogo123
06-14-2007, 04:40 PM
303 Aerospace Protectant should work fine for that. It`s a great product and it sounds like you are already having good luck with it.

imported_nmikmik
06-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for advice!

When you say "cheap oil-based products", you mean the silicone spray or the 303?

When you say “these areas” you mean the window guides and/or the whole window molding. I.e. what should I steam clean?

Thanks,